Honored Contributor

Style Trends for Mature Ladies From Erin

I ran across Erin today from Busbeestye dot com.  I thought she was very informitive.  She repeatedly states "You don't have to follow every trend" which I think we agree with.

Trends allow you an "in" to see what will be available so you can decide what fits your style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5VFN1zMYg8

What trends do you LIKE?  I'm still loving red!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Style Trends for Mature Ladies From Erin

@ECBG

There's that red leather moto jacket again ... love!

Honored Contributor

Ok but that certainly is not an original thought...lol   Saying something like just demeans women because no one would ever or could ever follow every trend that comes along.  

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@ECBG

There's that red leather moto jacket again ... love!

@SoX,Honey, give yourself peace and hop on over to Wilson Leather!

Well wait for you at Outfit Of The Day!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Ok but that certainly is not an original thought...lol   Saying something like just demeans women because no one would ever or could ever follow every trend that comes along.  

@chrystaltree,I don't think she demeans women at all.  Apparently, she has run into ladies that feel they need to strictly follow trends.

She repeatedly says "You don't have to follow every fashion trend.".  I found her discussion very unjudgemental and she spoke in relation to the principles and elements of design. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me many of these are not trends but the way I have always dressed  I have always and will always wear red, browns have been colors I gravatate to, love florals and plaids and have always worn.    I do love that unstructured is now the trend.  For many years in my professional life, wore suits with structured jackets or structured blazers - glad that has morphed into unstructured.  No dry cleaning and much more comfortable.  Velvets never go out of style 

Not real fond of embroidery so I won't follow that trend.  I have noticed alot of embroidery in boots.  (Issac has a jacket wilth embroidered roses and boots to match)  I would make an exception for that jacket if it wasn't $380.  I would go for it if I were younger, but won't spend that much at this point in my life.  (Might be a good thing to ask for for Christmas!)

I'm probably one of the few who have never liked denim so that is also out for me.  Since I am petite I also do not like midi length, but I will wear maxi - don't know why I think one doesn't suit me but the other does.

Should have kept my old faux furs - the brown we called Mouton at the time and I had a faux white fur also.  Not a fan now so I won't go for this trend.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree,I don't think she demeans women at all.  Apparently, she has run into ladies that feel they need to strictly follow trends.

She repeatedly says "You don't have to follow every fashion trend.".  I found her discussion very unjudgemental and she spoke in relation to the principles and elements of design. 

@chrystaltree, I agree with @ECBG that there was no judgment or in any way demeaned women. Tried to figure out how you got that. I liked that she kept repeating and tried to emphasize that the viewer doesn't have to follow every  trend. She even mentioned a couple of those that she herself would not be following.

It was interesting but most of those styles and fashions are out of my wheelhouse. Still I know posters on here will be talking about some of these trends going forward so nice to know what they'll be talking about as I read the various opinions.

As a mature woman I would hope other women aren't so fragile that they would feel demeaned by something so frivolous as fashion tips.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a trend follower.  I just keep buying, making and wearing the same stuff and occasionally trends seem to be following me!   

Turtlenecks seem popular this year.  I started wearing them during the JFK administration.   Red has been one of "my colors" since early 90s.  I'm seeing oversized sweaters ... that's what I've been making for years.  Ankle boots ... worn them for years.   

(I'm old, but not mature.)

Honored Contributor

I don't follow trends, per se, don't have the money to keep up with it but I do update my style.

I don't do the ankle pants but I do the slim leg to just below the ankle.  That's as trendy as I get!

I love an Oxford shirt, I will always have a few in my wardrobe.   The Oxford shirt has been updated over the years, I like to buy a fresh Oxford shirt maybe once a year but  I don't consider that following a trend.

There are many ways to update your style and incorporate new colors or new looks without going "trendy" mature or not