Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Stripes, Star Trek, Sweatshirts, & Animals

I went to Macy's and Kohl's today to spend a little birthday money. I saw lots and lots and lots of horizontal stripes for fall; thin stripes, thick stripes, and everything in between. I purchased a Tommy Hilfiger long sleeve sweater with various thicknesses of stripes in shades of blue.

I also saw lots of tops that reminded me of Star Trek. I know there was a hysterical thread on SG's Star Trek like top recently, but let me tell you I saw tons of other designers doing very similar things. I just can't get past the whole Star Trek reference so I won't be buying any of those.

I also saw some sweatshirts with embellishments. I tried on a few but I just didn't like them on me. Most of them were too short in length and too boxy.

I also saw tops with animals printed on them in various sizes. I saw zebras, giraffes, elephants, camels, and birds. I ended up buying a sleeveless top in olive with small zebras on it. I plan on wearing it with black bottoms and a black cardigan.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Stripes, Star Trek, Sweatshirts, & Animals

Stripes do seem to be continuing this fall don't they? I'm seeing faux leather trim too.

"Wait by the river long enough and the body of your enemy will float by you"

Sun Tzu
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm avoiding stores right now. Waiting to buy in a month or two.

I love stripes! It has to be the right kind - placed well & a good width though. like everything else, there are good ones and bad ones.

I don't think I have any right now. I'll get a few striped tops for fall, I hope. I did have a nice outfit with a striped top & a great striped cowl tank top but both are too big & headed to consignment.

I like Susan's ST top that went viral.

I like the "new" lightweight French terry sweatshirts. I have three of them, all rock bottom discounted. Two are a bit longer in back than in front but not a huge difference. None are embellished. I am not much of a fan of embellishments on anything. A little goes a long way with me.

Your olive zeba top sounds nice & like something I'd wear. I do like animal print but don't currently own clothes with it. I hope to get something for fall. One or two tops would be great. I do have some animal print sunglasses.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I'm not sure hat I would rely on either store for capturing the "styles" of the season. Macy's offers high end designer clothing but they also sell mediocre "design" labels; STyle & Co, etc.,

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I'm seeing an explosion of stripes in the stores and catalogs. One style I see a lot is the Breton stripe top, similar to what Duchess Kate wears.

I love the lightweight terry sweatshirts! They suit a casual lifestyle and the climate where I live. I bought a couple last year and wore them a lot. I like ones with an open neckline.

I've also seen whimsical tops with giraffes and other animals. Not my style, but they are cute.

There are some high-low hems on tops and sweaters. For some reason they don't work at all for me (probably I'm not tall enough).