Respected Contributor

Re: Storing wool garments...

@colliegirls wrote:

@jlkz wrote:

Slightly off-topic but I remember DH using mothballs on an outside corner of our garden shed to get rid of a nest of mice.  It worked: they ran away .    So, it must be very potent and dangerous.

OMG, we had squirrels in our attic and read that mothballs repel them so we put some up there. Our house STUNK!!!  We got those out of there in record time and called wild animal control!!!

So was that YOU in that squirrels in the attic commercial???????? (This time it's personal!) LOL! My fave!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

'Just in case' somebody gives handmade knit/crochet/whatever baby items that were stored in moth balls, please do not dress the baby/child with that item.  Please spread the word.  Also: It takes many months, even years, for moth balls to 'air out' on clothing.  Washing it won't work, it only soaks the chemical into the yarn/fabric.  You must air the item out (not in the sun; only outdoors or in a basement with ventilation) for a long, long time.  And after the odor is gone, then you can launder.   Just a word of warning, for baby's/children's sake.  After all, babies and young children really can't tell us (or figure out the reason) when they are feeling dizzy.  Pets, too.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

my wool clothing i send to the cleaners and then just hang in the closet  (with bag kept on)  until the next season.  i've never had a problem.

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF

wouncha just know it?  My source of pure cedar oil and cedar tip sachets just dried up!!  Clear Light the Cedar Company in Placitas, New Mexico closed on March 4, after 46 years in business!!!  I'm going to have to find a new source because spraying with a mixture of pure cedar oil in water outside a closet or containers of woolens does the trick...after washing the garment, sealing it in a holess garment bag or baggie, perhaps putting a few cedar tip sachets within the closet.  Cedar chips from the pet store on the closet bottom can help

Respected Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

I just bought a wool coat...90% wool.  While I got a great deal on it, it cost me a pretty penny, so I don't want moths to get at it.  I read up on it and it looks like I should freeze the coat for a few days to kill off the eggs (die, you little buggers, die!), then put it in some sort of container with a tight fitting top.

What do you do to protect your wool garments? 

My dry cleaner offers summer storage......they clean the items when you take them in and I call them before I'm ready to pick them up in the fall and they press/steam them and they're protected and ready to go.

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

I just bought a wool coat...90% wool.  While I got a great deal on it, it cost me a pretty penny, so I don't want moths to get at it.  I read up on it and it looks like I should freeze the coat for a few days to kill off the eggs (die, you little buggers, die!), then put it in some sort of container with a tight fitting top.

What do you do to protect your wool garments? 

I store them all at my dry cleaners at the end of the season. I usually pick them up late October. They do a really nice job of cleaning them and since I found a good cleaners, I have never had an issue with moths and thei holes they leave in wool.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't usually wear wool so I've never had to think about storing it, but I "discovered" Eileen Fisher merino wool sweaters last year and they don't irritate my skin.  I like the warmth wool provides, even though I don't need that much warmth here in NC. 

Last year, I bought an EF merino wool sweater in the most beautiful crystal blue...got a lot of wear out of it...the 1st wool anything I've had since I was a child!  But, I noticed a month or so ago that it had tiny holes in it...moths GASP!!  I never even thought about moths!

Then, I was on a mission to find a warm coat...you can have puffer coats!  A complete waste of $$!  I found one that I love, even though it went a little over my budget.  I'm determined to keep this wool coat in perfect condition for many years, hence my storage question(s).

I bought a zip lock bag at Target today along with some cedar blocks, but I'm also going to check with the local dry cleaners based on some of the suggestions made here.

This is getting ridiculous LOL!

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~