Valued Contributor

Re: Storing wool garments...

@ROMARY, yes, lavendar is a moth repellant.  I don't have it in front of me, but the ingredient list for Moth-away includes lavender in addition to other herbs.  The last time any mothballs were used in my home was when I was a child in the 60s.  I remember hating that smell which made me feel whoozy, and it would take a long time to dissipate.  Back then, that was the only repellent available, except perhaps for cedar, but who knew the fumes were dangerous?  

Honored Contributor

Sometimes when I am out shopping, or at church, at the doctor or dentist, or even out to eat I smell perfume that is so strongy offensive that I believe it would kill moths and humans. It could probably be used in the ME to destroy our enemies and save on drones.  

have never heard of testing it but it's like a stink bomb and it seems everyone that waits my table, waits on me in the mall, stands with my dentist, works for my doctor, visits my doctor or gets on the elevator with me has a drum of it and emptied a pint on them on the way out the door and some forgot to bathe.

Trusted Contributor

My dry cleaner will put items in a  moth proof bag and store for me until fall.   I usually take the cleaned coat and put it and it's bag in a large storage closet with cedar blocks.  I have done this for years and have had not problems.   This year I will add a Louis D coat with wool to my closet after it is cleaned.  I do clean my wools at  the end of each year before storing them.  

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

It may be where I live, but I have never had a problem with moths and wool, and I have never stored them using moth balls or cedar.  I just put them away clean, and they are perfect in the fall.  I am grateful, because I personally hate the smell of moth balls.

@mac116*****How do you store them?  Thanks

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

I was going to buy a plastic bin-like container with a tight fitting lid, but I was wondering if I could use something else...but what?  I think the coat is too big for a zip-lock bag, unless...do they make large storage zip-locks!?  I think I have a zippered garment bag somewhere.

The plastic bins with snap on lids work great.  I keep mine in the cool basement.

Honored Contributor

Zip Lock and Space Bags are made by the same company.  If you have a large object to store, get a Space Bag.  It probably won't stay deflated but it should keep moths out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have no issues with wool, it hangs in my closet with everything else. Cashmere is a problem, however.

Respected Contributor

Slightly off-topic but I remember DH using mothballs on an outside corner of our garden shed to get rid of a nest of mice.  It worked: they ran away .    So, it must be very potent and dangerous.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A Cedar Chest is your very best bet. And if you have lots of sweaters,coats etc. and need more than one check out Craigslist for incredible deals on them. I got an extra one for less than a Susan Graver top....way less! I guess lots of people don't use them anymore so prices are real good. DH says he couldn't buy the cedar wood alone for the prices of some of the chests I've seen on craigs.

Esteemed Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Slightly off-topic but I remember DH using mothballs on an outside corner of our garden shed to get rid of a nest of mice.  It worked: they ran away .    So, it must be very potent and dangerous.

OMG, we had squirrels in our attic and read that mothballs repel them so we put some up there. Our house STUNK!!!  We got those out of there in record time and called wild animal control!!!