Esteemed Contributor

I just bought a wool coat...90% wool.  While I got a great deal on it, it cost me a pretty penny, so I don't want moths to get at it.  I read up on it and it looks like I should freeze the coat for a few days to kill off the eggs (die, you little buggers, die!), then put it in some sort of container with a tight fitting top.

What do you do to protect your wool garments? 

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Storing wool garments...

Of course those of us who've been around awhile, remember putting all woolen items in mothballs for the summer.  They worked great but then you had the chore of getting rid of the odor.

Much more pleasant is the smell of cedar.  You can buy cedar blocks in most store with closet supplies, and they will repel moths.  I have 4 or 5 Navajo rugs which are 100% natural wool and I store them in my mother's old cedar chest.

Process your new coat as you describe, then put it to sleep with some cedar.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I use "Moth-Away" herbal sachets.  I store my wool coat in a canvas, breathable zippered garment bag, put a sachet in each pocket and a few at the bottom of the bag, and put it in the closet.  I've never had a problem with moths getting at any of my wool coats.  When I take the coat out for winter wear, I air it out for a couple of hours in the backyard, and it's ready to go.  

Honored Contributor

Moth balls and an air tight container. That's if I had any wool clothing. I don't do wool anymore.
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind that mothballs are made of naphthalene and camphor, and fumes can build up and turn toxic in airtight containers.  They're also toxic to children, dogs, and cats (look it up).

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624

You're correct about the mothballs...uh nooo.  lol

My initial thought was cedar, but I read that it wasn't "proven" to be effective.  But, if it works for your woolen rugs...!  Do you just place them in the chest or do you roll them in some sort of bag or put in a container first?

Thanks for the tips, Kachina.

Esteemed Contributor

@Brooklynny

Not a lot of places pop up in a search for moth-away...where do you get it?  Thanks for the response!

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to buy a plastic bin-like container with a tight fitting lid, but I was wondering if I could use something else...but what?  I think the coat is too big for a zip-lock bag, unless...do they make large storage zip-locks!?  I think I have a zippered garment bag somewhere.

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF  I just roll up the rugs and place them in the cedar chest.  By the way, if your cedar; blocks, closet or chest, loses its effectiveness, just sand lightly with ordinary sandpaper and it will be just like new.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Zip-lock makes 10 and 20 gallon bags!! Who knew!?  LOL. 

So I guess my question is...after freezing, should I use a plastic bin or a zip-lock bag (with some cedar blocks in it?