Honored Contributor

Storing good Cashmere - any advice?

DD asked me. She has one good cashmere sweater. She had it on a shelf in her closet but she's worried about moths. So she asked me. I don't own any cashmere. Can anyone help? Should she get moth balls? (I miss my little puzzled/questioning emoticon!)

Valued Contributor

Re: Storing good Cashmere - any advice?

I store mine in plastic bags that zip.
I don't like the smell of moth balls
on anything I wear.

The bags work well and they smell clean.  

That's how we roll in the shire..
Respected Contributor

I also store mine (both cashmere & pure wool) in plastic bags that zip. For some reason, the moths have champagne taste and go straight for the cashmere sweaters. I usually use the XL and XXL sized bags (I get them at BJ's or Beds Bath & Beyond). I can usually fit 2 sweaters per bag (depending on how bulky they are). The last thing your daughter wants to do is leave it on an open shelf. She may not think she's got moths, but the little buggers will manage to find their way to her sweater.

Honored Contributor

Thank you both for your advice! I will tell her! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I know this sounds a little ridiculous but make sure all cashmere is cleaned before putting away.  DH had several that attracted moths and I attribute it to stains that we did not see.

Respected Contributor

yes, keep your sweaters in a plastic tub. before you store your sweaters after the winter, wash and dry and then store . i use a cedar chest but plastic is fine. the moths aren't the problem so much -  its the little buggers when the moths lay eggs. the larvae are attracted to oils from the body and feed off off it.

Respected Contributor

Hi beach-mom, The zip top plastic bags work great but my "beachMom" gave me (for my Birthday years ago) a beautiful cedar chest to keep all my sweaters (and other assorted goodies) in. I treasure this chest and think of Mom whenever I dig in there to get a sweater. It would be a gift your DD will treasure (and USE) her whole life. I sure Heart mine from my Mom! It kinda looks like this one.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I store my wool sweaters in plastic bags also.  I put those little "dry packs" (silica gel) that come in shoes and other things in with the sweaters.  I read recently that they'll deter moths.  And there's no smell.