Super Contributor

WAIT!!!!BIT ot,,,,hows ABOUT isaac,,,"KIND OF,,,SORT OF,,,ALMOST LIKE',,,,,,,drives me insane,,,it;s like he doesn't know EXACTLY what he means,,,,,grrrrrrr.

Super Contributor
On 3/28/2015 Q4U said:

It's just a habit and a verbal "place holder".... she needs to practice not umming so much and it'll pass.

this so takes me back to speech class in high school,,,,,,and she was TOUGH,,,,but I still remember her rants,,,,,,,my son is in public speaking, do to speak,,,,and he's often mentioned how hard it is to 'hear' someone with the ahhhhs etc, Me too!!!! it just bothers me.

Super Contributor
On 3/29/2015 Kitty Galore said:
On 3/27/2015 stray770 said: It is quite annoying to me and even our President says ummm quite often and it annoys me then too...I think it may just be habit. So he is a professional orator and the hosts are not....I listened to myself on tape once and I said it a few times and I hated it so I try to think about it but I never knew I used ummm in my speech.
I personally do not feel the president is a professional orator......he uses a teleprompter, so I guess it has umm's written on it cause any time I have heard him speak and I try not to, he does constantly say umm, umm. You would think someone would tell him. Also why is it no one tells Jill?? I would think that from time to time hosts watch there presentations to check on how they come across, and what they can improve on.

Terrible speaker!!!!

Super Contributor

Those things mentioned are just fill ins for words that are not flowing. Brain freeze. Whats the big deal?

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/29/2015 sugarflake said:

Those things mentioned are just fill ins for words that are not flowing. Brain freeze. Whats the big deal?

Well to me it shows a lack of vocabulary, if you speak for a living you should not constantly be having "brain freezing". That is your living , it is distracting to listen to .
Esteemed Contributor
I think it is just habit or as someone said a place holder while looking for your next thought...it is kinda hard to talk about a vacuum for a half hour. Tho any President is not a professional orator, by trade, they do have coaches re public speaking. Don't know if Bill Clinton said ummm but he was one of the best. If someone is speaking of an interesting topic or an orator such as Clinton, maybe we don't hear it????
Valued Contributor

Lori Goldstein can't complete a sentence without ummmmm.

Super Contributor

I've noticed a lot of rights and okays when the host is agreeing with

the vendor's presentation..they need a dialogue coach.

Esteemed Contributor
On 3/29/2015 stray770 said: I think it is just habit or as someone said a place holder while looking for your next thought...it is kinda hard to talk about a vacuum for a half hour. Tho any President is not a professional orator, by trade, they do have coaches re public speaking. Don't know if Bill Clinton said ummm but he was one of the best. If someone is speaking of an interesting topic or an orator such as Clinton, maybe we don't hear it????
You a right, Bill Clinton was and is a great speaker I don't remember hi ever saying ahhh or ummm actually. This president could take a lesson from him!
Respected Contributor
On 3/29/2015 Kitty Galore said:
On 3/29/2015 stray770 said: I think it is just habit or as someone said a place holder while looking for your next thought...it is kinda hard to talk about a vacuum for a half hour. Tho any President is not a professional orator, by trade, they do have coaches re public speaking. Don't know if Bill Clinton said ummm but he was one of the best. If someone is speaking of an interesting topic or an orator such as Clinton, maybe we don't hear it????
You a right, Bill Clinton was and is a great speaker I don't remember hi ever saying ahhh or ummm actually. This president could take a lesson from him!