Respected Contributor

I would just like to point out that the same fabric composition can feel very different depending on the way it is knit or woven. For example, I have some 95/5 cotton spandex tops that do feel a little "rubbery" (lots of snap back to the fabric), but I also have 95/5 cotton spandex tops (and some with an even higher percentage of spandex) that don't feel that way at all. Same with denim -- the weave makes a big difference. Polyester is the same way. Think of all the variations on poly/span (from stretch fleece to wovens to Liquid Knit, etc.) I can also say from experience that not all poly/span exercise clothing feels the same -- some is what I call "slimy," while other types have a softer, more brushed hand.

Esteemed Contributor

I own clothing with and without spandex.  My comment is about jeans.  Even as a teen I did not like jeans and for many years as an adult I owned only one pair of jeans.  It wasn't my thing to have to struggle into the jeans and do the break in thing while the pants adjusted into being my personal fit.  With as little as one percent spandex today's jeans fit right when you buy them.   

Trusted Contributor

@MarthaStewardess wrote:

@Lucylu12 wrote:

@Whosits wrote:

Why must every single item of clothing (almost) have to have Spandex in it? Don't people realize that most fabrics already have stretch that is inherent to the fabric?! Spandex makes a garment hotter to wear and it irritates the skin. It has gotten to the point now that they are putting Spandex in everything, which limits my buying because I won't buy a garment if it has it.

Oh my goodness it was so refreshing to see this post. I have felt this way for so long. I hate it for all the reasons you stated. I love fabrics that breath especially in the Summer.i am probably the only person who absolutely hates it in denim jeans. I find them uncomfortable but have found a few I can tolerate. One being Laurie Flets classic denim and Vince Camuto the fabrication with the red piping and the one with the botton up front. That material used in those 2 Vince Camuto jeans are the very best denim jeans I have purchased period. If you have not tried them I highly recommend them. They stay up and they look like actual denim where some that have stretch don’t and they are so flattering.

Anyway I am right there with you. Won’t purchase a top period with spandex and haven’t in a long time.

No, you're not the only one that hates it in Jean's.  I do too!  I still like my good old Levis with no stretch.  Lol, thankfully,  they still fit!!

I also have many styles with no stretch and luckily they still fit. Good to know someone else feels that way. Most like the spandex in them, but that’s OK. It just doesn’t work for me.

Honored Contributor

I live in Oklahoma.  We have four seasons:

Spring--2 nice days and the rest is hail, tornadoes and severe thunderstorms here, on the way, or just off to the east where you can still see the lightening.

Summer--The day after Spring ends, it turns hot as all Billy Hell and doesn't rain until the first ballgame or the state fair, whichever comes first.

Autumn--3 nice cool days, more thunderstroms and lots of leaf raking.  Hail on Thanksgiving weekend.

Winter--Comes the day after the Thanksgiving weekend.  If your outside lights aren't up by now, it's touch and go.  We could have cloudy cold weather, storms, or an ice storm or 16 inches of snow around Christmas to liven things up. But then we could NOT have snow for years.   It goes from warm/hot to cold/freezing and back again, so you have no idea what to wear. 

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

polyester and spandex do not bother me and i live in a state that is generally pretty humid......and usually very humid during the summertime. i absolutely hate 100% cotton.

there is a reason why a lot of athletic wear is made from polyester and spandex.

"One of the main reasons why Polyester is used in sportswear is due to its wicking property . Wicking means ability through which the sweat is transferred from body and evaporated easily . When cotton is used it will absorb sweat and the same will be retained in garment which may make the garment heavy and unpleasant ."

@sunshine45  For the same reasons you stated, as well as  @Andreatoo in her post, I like spandex.

Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Fun fact: spandex is an anagram of expands!

@Love to Run 

I'm shocked to learn that you're 51!

@AndreatooHa! Me too Smiley LOL Just trying to keep it all together for as long as I can. lol

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Trusted Contributor

All this talk about spandex makes me think of

the rubberized girdle my Mom used to wear.  Ha!  Does anyone even make girdles anymore and do ladies still wear them?