Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

I like some spandex in all my clothing...doesn't have to be much....but blends tend to wash better last longer and do not wrinkle plus hold their shape.  Please never get rid of spandex LOL!

@tsavorite, despite the OP's plea, I am 100 percent sure that the only thingnthat would remove Spandex from the market would be a similar but even better fabric down the road.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

I love Spandex and in fact I rarely buy anything that doesn't have spandex. I love the fit and stretchiness. Jeans without spandex lose their shape and tops look so much better with it. Even my favorite jackets have spandex. For me it's a miracle fabric.

Trusted Contributor

Spandex provides the recovery garments need to retain their shape. I'm 51 and live in Memphis, doesn't bother me a bit.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Respected Contributor

I dislike all the spandex  too.  Not everyone wants or needs stretchy clothes.  I hate all the denim with stretch.  Don't like all the polyester tops either. I certainly don't want it in the warm months.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I live in the desert Southwest and Spandex and polyester doesn't bother me a bit.  I like what both do for clothing.

@Kachina624  You're lucky, dry and low humidity.  I'm actually jealous!Woman Happy

@Harvard99   I also lived 35 years in Houston, and believe me, I appreciate the desert climate.

@Kachina624   Yes, Houston is hot and muggy too. Spandex and polyester fabrics are better suited to your desert type of weather.  If I was younger I could get away with wearing a lot less clothing here!

Honored Contributor

Fun fact: spandex is an anagram of expands!

@Love to Run 

I'm shocked to learn that you're 51!

Trusted Contributor

@Whosits wrote:

Why must every single item of clothing (almost) have to have Spandex in it? Don't people realize that most fabrics already have stretch that is inherent to the fabric?! Spandex makes a garment hotter to wear and it irritates the skin. It has gotten to the point now that they are putting Spandex in everything, which limits my buying because I won't buy a garment if it has it.

Oh my goodness it was so refreshing to see this post. I have felt this way for so long. I hate it for all the reasons you stated. I love fabrics that breath especially in the Summer.i am probably the only person who absolutely hates it in denim jeans. I find them uncomfortable but have found a few I can tolerate. One being Laurie Flets classic denim and Vince Camuto the fabrication with the red piping and the one with the botton up front. That material used in those 2 Vince Camuto jeans are the very best denim jeans I have purchased period. If you have not tried them I highly recommend them. They stay up and they look like actual denim where some that have stretch don’t and they are so flattering.

Anyway I am right there with you. Won’t purchase a top period with spandex and haven’t in a long time.

Regular Contributor

I don't mind some spandex, it helps garments hold their shape better, IMO and it lessens wrinkling.  100% cotton is too gummy when it gets damp; it doesn't wick or dry quickly either.  Also, I don't do my own laundry and even t-shirts are wrinkled messes once I get them home from the laundromat and I'm certainly not ironing them.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Stop the Spandex!

[ Edited ]

@Lucylu12 wrote:

@Whosits wrote:

Why must every single item of clothing (almost) have to have Spandex in it? Don't people realize that most fabrics already have stretch that is inherent to the fabric?! Spandex makes a garment hotter to wear and it irritates the skin. It has gotten to the point now that they are putting Spandex in everything, which limits my buying because I won't buy a garment if it has it.

Oh my goodness it was so refreshing to see this post. I have felt this way for so long. I hate it for all the reasons you stated. I love fabrics that breath especially in the Summer.i am probably the only person who absolutely hates it in denim jeans. I find them uncomfortable but have found a few I can tolerate. One being Laurie Flets classic denim and Vince Camuto the fabrication with the red piping and the one with the botton up front. That material used in those 2 Vince Camuto jeans are the very best denim jeans I have purchased period. If you have not tried them I highly recommend them. They stay up and they look like actual denim where some that have stretch don’t and they are so flattering.

Anyway I am right there with you. Won’t purchase a top period with spandex and haven’t in a long time.

No, you're not the only one that hates it in jeans.  I do too!  I still like my good old Levis with no stretch.  Lol, thankfully,  they still fit!!

Honored Contributor

@Whosits @I was just about to write the same thing.I keep returning stuff to Q because it is too thick and rubbery or too big.I need lessons on how to shop for the right size and fabric.I am sure to be a banned shopper as I just can’t keep much of the clothing I order.This stretchy fabric is very heavy and I find it uncomfortable and hot.