Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stop it Stop it STOP IT!!!

@Venezia wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I think anyone who thinks anything that can be found on QVC could be considered couture is delusional.

LOL!  Woman LOL

(Host:  "Here is our latest couture sweater and for only $49.99 plus shipping and handling!")

Venezia, you forgot to add "6 e-z pays if you use a Q card!"  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo

@Peaches McPhee

@Venezia

@SoX

@magicmoodz

Here is a fascinating article about the three things that are required by the French government before a fashion house is allowed the designation "haute couture" (for which "couture" is simply a shortened version).

Having the ability to make one-of-a-kind pieces is simply one of the three requirements.

At the bottom of the article is the current list of all the fashion houses that are allowed the designation.  Clearly, none of them are QVC vendors!

http://www.dressful.com/583/what-is-the-definition-of-haute-couture

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I think couture means it was manufactured per the customer specification like a house designed by a client being built to their own specifications and haute means it is made to detail by one of the high end design houses.  I don't think it is limited to France, only the words, which are French (haute et couture).  Haute means high end (among other things, tall, etc) and couture meaning per specifications but can include cuisine.  

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday

Here is a fascinating article about the three things that are required by the French government before a fashion house is allowed the designation "haute couture" (for which "couture" is simply a shortened version).

Having the ability to make one-of-a-kind pieces is simply one of the three requirements.

At the bottom of the article is the current list of all the fashion houses that are allowed the designation.  Clearly, none of them are QVC vendors!

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Whle i don't care enough about the personalites on shopping channels to like or dislike anyone I can say that I'm highly annoyed with the over use of the word 'couture'!

'Couture' quite literally means sewing; 'haute couture' is high sewing. By definition jewelry cannot be couture! Nor is anything, and yes it's implied, sold on QVC anywhere close to the excepted implication of the word which is one of a kind and predominantly hand made!

Couture or Haute Couture is a designation controlled by the French government! There are no American designersr presently allowed in the club...

It's all actually quite interesting but for the purposes of television retail it isn't 'couture'! Nor is it 'couture like'!

Rant over.

This gave me a huge laugh and I'm not laughing AT you.  But I hear the hosts on all the shopping channels say it and I just chuckle.  Who really thinks they are buying anything couture or haute couture from a shopping channel?

I do remember a poster on this board giving me the what for when I didn't like a pair of boots being sold on HSN.  Basically she told me I had low brow taste because those boots were very haute couture.  I thought well have at em sister!  LOL

I also get a huge kick out of listening to the variations of the pronunciation of the word couture!   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Nonametoday

That is regulation by the French government and not the generic meaning of haute couture.  These are French words but just because they are French words, does not mean they have not been adopted in the mainstream of other cultures and the article you cite strictly applies to a niche, government-regulated market, not worldwide.  There are regulations that apply to fruit in California that would not in Texas or Maine, but you could not use that same definition for any other state unless it encompassed a region included in said regulation.

Super Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Whle i don't care enough about the personalites on shopping channels to like or dislike anyone I can say that I'm highly annoyed with the over use of the word 'couture'!

'Couture' quite literally means sewing; 'haute couture' is high sewing. By definition jewelry cannot be couture! Nor is anything, and yes it's implied, sold on QVC anywhere close to the excepted implication of the word which is one of a kind and predominantly hand made!

Couture or Haute Couture is a designation controlled by the French government! There are no American designersr presently allowed in the club...

It's all actually quite interesting but for the purposes of television retail it isn't 'couture'! Nor is it 'couture like'!

Rant over.

I think you meant "accepted" implication.  

When I see people misusing words, I just want it to stop! Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

Rant over.

This gave me a huge laugh and I'm not laughing AT you.  But I hear the hosts on all the shopping channels say it and I just chuckle.  Who really thinks they are buying anything couture or haute couture from a shopping channel?

I do remember a poster on this board giving me the what for when I didn't like a pair of boots being sold on HSN.  Basically she told me I had low brow taste because those boots were very haute couture.  I thought well have at em sister!  LOL

I also get a huge kick out of listening to the variations of the pronunciation of the word couture!   

Who indeed!   Come on now.   That's why I laugh every time I see a presentation for Q's GILI line!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@namealreadytaken wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Nonametoday

That is regulation by the French government and not the generic meaning of haute couture.  These are French words but just because they are French words, does not mean they have not been adopted in the mainstream of other cultures and the article you cite strictly applies to a niche, government-regulated market, not worldwide.  There are regulations that apply to fruit in California that would not in Texas or Maine, but you could not use that same definition for any other state unless it encompassed a region included in said regulation.

I remember watching a style show on E! one time and they had a designer on who talked about what the requirements were for something to truly be haute couture and how misused the term is in the fashion industry.   I remember he said the garment had to be completely hand sewn.   

Honored Contributor

@namealreadytaken wrote:

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Nonametoday

Yes, the term has been misused widely.  That doesn't mean we should all continue to misuse it.

Champagne is also regulated by the French government.  That is why sparkling wine, even though made in the way champagne is made, cannot be called "champagne" unless it comes from the Champagne region of France.

Personally, I'd rather use a term correctly than just use it however I "think" it ought to be used.