Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stop! Enough with the permission

@tototwo wrote:

Just my opinion.... if ladies of this forum post photos of outfits or clothing items, they should expect various opinions.  Good, bad, or indifferent.  Especially if the poster asks  "how do you like this?" or words to that effect.  

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but are you saying that only the posters who love the item and agree with you should reply?   No negative responses allowed?

@tototwoKind of what it sounds like to me.  Why post then?  Surely you can't make people "act" the way YOU would like them to.  This isn't grade school.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

Just my opinion.... if ladies of this forum post photos of outfits or clothing items, they should expect various opinions.  Good, bad, or indifferent.  Especially if the poster asks  "how do you like this?" or words to that effect.  

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but are you saying that only the posters who love the item and agree with you should reply?   No negative responses allowed?

Yup, absolutely 

That's what I'm thinking too.  I won't change the way I engage.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

@tototwo It does seem like you are misunderstanding.  It's fine to state you really do not like a look and it is not for you but many will state it in a real insulting way - such as...why would anyone want to look that sloppy or anyone who wears that looks ridiculous!!  We all have differing tastes and what I do not like many do so even if I think something is really a bad look I would only speak for myself and say I do not like that for me as it is not my style.  There is no reason to insult others who like and wear what you do not!!

@Pook - Exactly. No need to be offensive to others. @tototwo (Not accusing you.)

I'm not sure how one can be offensive about an item of clothing one has or wants on  message board.  You will either like that person's item or you won't.  Now, if I told you ~ you look hideous to your face that would be different.

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I'm not getting the point of this thread. Is it politics, arrogance or condescending to voice opinions here about anything?

@Shanus - Thankfully, the QVC Forums are political-free (for the most part,) so that is obviously not what the OP is referring. 

The 'Point' is: Some posters say very rude and hurtful comments to make their point, e.g., Jewelry, Clothing, etc. - some of whom are a constant.

It's one thing to disagree or to give an opinion, but why be so hurtful in doing so? There are more tactful words to convey a dislike or a difference of opinion. Just because people here are anonymous doesn't mean they don't have feelings.

@Mimi 1883 

I appreciate your input but the 'opinions' weren't m y focus; it's the arrogant 'but if you like it go ahead and buy it'

!!??? Do we need or want permission to purchase what we like? I think not...

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I'm not getting the point of this thread. Is it politics, arrogance or condescending to voice opinions here about anything?

@Shanus - Thankfully, the QVC Forums are political-free (for the most part,) so that is obviously not what the OP is referring. 

The 'Point' is: Some posters say very rude and hurtful comments to make their point, e.g., Jewelry, Clothing, etc. - some of whom are a constant.

It's one thing to disagree or to give an opinion, but why be so hurtful in doing so? There are more tactful words to convey a dislike or a difference of opinion. Just because people here are anonymous doesn't mean they don't have feelings.

@Mimi 1883   There's a huge difference like in my thread about enough joggers. That was my opinion, but I didn't put anyone "down" for liking theirs. 

I have voiced my displeasure about items and never put down someone for wanting to purchase or liking it.  I give my honest answer about whether I like it or not.  The descriptor can vary.  But it is never "offputting?"

Honored Contributor

I can respect someone's opinion without letting it affect how I feel about something.  I don't care if someone thinks what I like is butt ugly, matronly, old fashioned or anything else.  If I like it, I like it.  People have every right to give their opinions.  I have every right to ignore them.  

Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@LillyBee2 wrote:

I like to  read all the differant opinions and views on an item I'm thinking about purchasing.   I also like constructive  reviews that may point out flaws I had not considered, and colors and construction I did not  notice.    I do like  to hear others view of fashion, positve and negative.  However, the comments like it looks like a bag lady or I wouldn't be caught outside the house in that rag are just useless.  Then, to suggest that it's ok to purchase, if you like that sort of thing,  is off-putting at best and rude. 

@LillyBee2 

I get exactly what you're saying but I've never heard a constructive negative review that ended with 'but if you like it go ahead and buy it'

It just doesn't seem reasonable to me that you would dislike something but yet feel the need to encourage somebody else to purchase it anyway

@Andreatoo @LillyBee2  - it's passive-aggressive behavior. In some cases the bullies have 'evolved' to this style so that they can still post insults or introduce their bias, politics etc in a less than direct manner. 

@Andreatoo - I am glad you posted this thread. Maybe some will take a different approach to what they post...maybe!

I agree that specific comments about sizing suggestions or alternate/similar items is welcome. Or a warning that a style of performance leggings slides down when working out. The snide judgmental comments...no one should wear "leggings", "joggers" (fill in the blank') or name calling 'rag' 'schmatta' is a form of hostility and aggression.  It helps no one! 

Were you posting several years back when Lisa Rinna's line was fairly active with TSV's? She got me to try the jogger/cargo pants that she designed for Q based on popular items she sold at ber boutique.  I still have them and wear them. I found her fashions to be a  great fit for my lifestyle and still wear them

My Lisa Rinna threads were repeatedly targeted by posters for a takedown. The intent was to prevent me and others from shopping/discussing the line bc of their hatred of her. It was beyond unacceptable.  

I took note of the fact some of the posters did it repeatedly,  and some had multiple nics which they used to troll me on other threads too. Many of these posters are gone, but at least one is still very active. She still typically posts negative comments on my threads, never anything helpful - I think  passive-aggressive behavior -  having to adapt bc the current team of moderators won't allow those types of take downs anymore. It's a shame bc many posters won't start threads due to this type of hostile posting. It adds no value

We all have figure ' challenges' whether it's big hips, short legs, big breasts, big waists etc. Most of us have figured out what works for us, what's flattering,  comfortable and on...it would be much more beneficial for someone to post item xxx is a better alternative for big hip girls than to complain/draw a pile on of negative comments about something they won't buy. I do my best to avoid/ignore these posters

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never understand why people get so upset over others opinions no matter what they say about it.

If you like something what does it matter how others feel about it, people you don't even know or care about or respect their opinion.

Once everyone was commenting on Kirk's Folly jewelry.

Some thought it childish and other things.

I love it but I also understand that it appeals to a certain type of person and not others at all. Someone who is more formal, always professional or whatever might think it is ridiculous or like one thought, grown women wearing children's jewelry.

But none of the comments bothered me or stopped me from loving the ones I had.

I can get a good laugh at the funnier ones too. Some words like schmatta I think are funny in themselves. I don't think that is passive aggressive which seems to be a favorite term these days. I've had some of my favorite things called that. I love my "schamttas" and am not giving them up😁

I'm glad I'm this way because I wouldn't want to be so sensitive that I would need everyone to say everything I wore looked great. I guess it depends on how much confidence you have in yourself.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I never understand why people get so upset over others opinions no matter what they say about it.

If you like something what does it matter how others feel about it, people you don't even know or care about or respect their opinion.

Once everyone was commenting on Kirk's Folly jewelry.

Some thought it childish and other things.

I love it but I also understand that it appeals to a certain type of person and not others at all. Someone who is more formal, always professional or whatever might think it is ridiculous or like one thought, grown women wearing children's jewelry.

But none of the comments bothered me or stopped me from loving the ones I had.

I can get a good laugh at the funnier ones too. Some words like schmatta I think are funny in themselves. I don't think that is passive aggressive which seems to be a favorite term these days. I've had some of my favorite things called that. I love my "schamttas" and am not giving them up😁

I'm glad I'm this way because I wouldn't want to be so sensitive that I would need everyone to say everything I wore looked great. I guess it depends on how much confidence you have in yourself.

Thank you @on the bay .  I'm a grown woman.  If I think something is not appealing to me I may or may not comment on it.  A lot of threads I just don't even comment on in the Fashion Forum.  I could say plenty.  I don't.  Sometimes, I do and when I do if it is not what the poster wanted to hear too bad.  Most of the time I don't like the stuff because I REALLY DON'T LIKE THE STUFF.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay - you're overly sensitive?  Not me.

I don't post any threads to bash vendors, hosts, styles, fabrics...too often my threads have been targeted and derailed by hostile posters. 

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri