Honored Contributor

Re: Stop! Enough with the permission

@Andreatoo, I got the gist of your post. I didn't think you were necessarily or even at all talking about hosts but about posters. Correct me if I'm wrong.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 

correct again! Seems not to matter how concise I try to be....................

No hidden messages in my posts. Take them at face value Woman Wink

Trusted Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

Just my opinion.... if ladies of this forum post photos of outfits or clothing items, they should expect various opinions.  Good, bad, or indifferent.  Especially if the poster asks  "how do you like this?" or words to that effect.  

Maybe I misunderstood the question, but are you saying that only the posters who love the item and agree with you should reply?   No negative responses allowed?

@tototwo It does seem like you are misunderstanding.  It's fine to state you really do not like a look and it is not for you but many will state it in a real insulting way - such as...why would anyone want to look that sloppy or anyone who wears that looks ridiculous!!  We all have differing tastes and what I do not like many do so even if I think something is really a bad look I would only speak for myself and say I do not like that for me as it is not my style.  There is no reason to insult others who like and wear what you do not!!

@Pook - Exactly. No need to be offensive to others. @tototwo (Not accusing you.)

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

There's not a single person here, sorry to burst your bubble, that would make me second-guess a purchase just because they don't like it! I certainly don't need your permission to 'buy it and enjoy it anyway' even if you don't like it?!

Opinions are fine in a respectful and thoughtful manner and are frequently requested for the sake of a dialogue. Giving us your blessing, when you 'wouldn't wear it in million years', just sounds arrogant and condescending

@Andreatoo - It's called 'tact'. Apparently some people don't know the meaning, or just want to intentionally be rude to fellow posters - We see it here daily - for some, it's a habit and an automatic given.

We all have our preferences for jewelry, clothing, etc., but use some tact when leaving a comment; there is a nicer way to get your point made.

People ask why there are fewer and fewer 'original posts' and 'comments' - Posters have said that they are afraid to create a post or make a comment as they will be chastised - A lot of them simply left. That's sad.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I'm not getting the point of this thread. Is it politics, arrogance or condescending to voice opinions here about anything?

@Shanus - Thankfully, the QVC Forums are political-free (for the most part,) so that is obviously not what the OP is referring. 

The 'Point' is: Some posters say very rude and hurtful comments to make their point, e.g., Jewelry, Clothing, etc. - some of whom are a constant.

It's one thing to disagree or to give an opinion, but why be so hurtful in doing so? There are more tactful words to convey a dislike or a difference of opinion. Just because people here are anonymous doesn't mean they don't have feelings.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I'm not getting the point of this thread. Is it politics, arrogance or condescending to voice opinions here about anything?

@Shanus - Thankfully, the QVC Forums are political-free (for the most part,) so that is obviously not what the OP is referring. 

The 'Point' is: Some posters say very rude and hurtful comments to make their point, e.g., Jewelry, Clothing, etc. - some of whom are a constant.

It's one thing to disagree or to give an opinion, but why be so hurtful in doing so? There are more tactful words to convey a dislike or a difference of opinion. Just because people here are anonymous doesn't mean they don't have feelings.

@Mimi 1883   There's a huge difference like in my thread about enough joggers. That was my opinion, but I didn't put anyone "down" for liking theirs. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Mimi 1883   There's a huge difference like in my thread about enough joggers. That was my opinion, but I didn't put anyone "down" for liking theirs. 

@Shanus - Sorry,  but I did not read that post. Having admitted that, I am certain that you did not put anyone down for their own differing likes/opinions; it's not in your nature. 

I also don't think you would ever tell a client that they look 'hideous' in their current makeup look. If anything, you would say, 'Let's try something different.' That is having 'tact' to make a 'point' - no need to say anything hurtful or demeaning.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Contributor

Some of the reviews are completely useless.  The worst is when multiple people review an item they have not yet received and may not even have ordered.  I do not understand why you can submit a review for a purchase you have not even made.

The shoe reviews are the worst because, again, without ordering the shoe, there are complaints that it does not come in a particular size or color.  They are not custom made, it is what it is. 

I have a very wide foot and most wide width shoes are too narrow for me so it's subjective.  All shoes are cut differently and you have to try them on to determine if they are too wide or too narrow regardless of the description or what sizes are sold. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

There's not a single person here, sorry to burst your bubble, that would make me second-guess a purchase just because they don't like it! I certainly don't need your permission to 'buy it and enjoy it anyway' even if you don't like it?!

Opinions are fine in a respectful and thoughtful manner and are frequently requested for the sake of a dialogue. Giving us your blessing, when you 'wouldn't wear it in million years', just sounds arrogant and condescending

I feel the same way.  Nothing ANYONE can say (don't care who it is) can make me purchase an item if I don't want it.  I don't care how much a host must go on and on about an item (if said item doesn't "speak to me") in a way that I want ~ I'm not buying it.  These shopping networks have some brands that don't cater to short people like me.

For others who have described items as hideous, looks like sluts, wouldn't be caught dead in this/that and more; people pretty much already have their mind made up about the item they are inquiring about for opinions.  Then when you get opinions that don't sit well with you it's rude.  It may very well be.  No one owes you that kind of acommodation about buying clothes on an open internet forum. If that's all you're doing is sharing.  Now if this was more about how it affects YOU personally on another level; how would anyone know this?

On the many ocassions I've given an opinion about an item and it's not something I would buy or consider (but if you like it) that's all that should matter.  Saying so at the end of my commentary is not that I'm giving anyone permission to do a thing.  Just stating: if YOU like it, that's all that matters (go ahead and enjoy yourself with it).  This shouldn't be a problem where others are giving an opinion. 

I always use an ending like this or similar.  For those who like it, wear it in good health, or enjoy your purchse.  It's not a permission (from me at least) it's a courtesy and just to let you know only you should care about how much you like it.  Why would it bother me if you didn't purchase it after all?  I will continue to use my standard reply when I give my commentary on a garment; for those of you who find it appealing, buy it and wear it in good health.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@LillyBee2 wrote:

I like to  read all the differant opinions and views on an item I'm thinking about purchasing.   I also like constructive  reviews that may point out flaws I had not considered, and colors and construction I did not  notice.    I do like  to hear others view of fashion, positve and negative.  However, the comments like it looks like a bag lady or I wouldn't be caught outside the house in that rag are just useless.  Then, to suggest that it's ok to purchase, if you like that sort of thing,  is off-putting at best and rude. 

I don't see how this could be "off putting".  What matter is if the person presenting an item for consideration is the one who likes it.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life