Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stop! Enough with the permission

I also don't see anything wrong with wishing someone pleasure if they decide to purchase an item I don't like.  (New meaning: I'm giving you permission).  That's what I call courtesy.  Others want to frame it to suit a different agenda.

Some think too highly of themselves.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@on the bay - you're overly sensitive?  Not me.

I don't post any threads to bash vendors, hosts, styles, fabrics...too often my threads have been targeted and derailed by hostile posters. 

@Chi-town girl ,

No, I said I am not overly sensitive about  what people say about what I wear. But I also don't post mean things when someone asks for an opinion. I usually won't say anything at all especially if I know they will be hurt if I would say anything that wasn't complimentary.

But I don't mind it if people say they don't like things I like or even make fun of them. I just don't mind.If I ask for someones opinion and they say it looks stupid I might take that into consideration but if I don't agree, I'll still wear it and enjoy it.

I get that you are hurt by what people say, and I'm sorry for that.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

I don't post any threads to bash vendors, hosts, styles, fabrics...too often my threads have been targeted and derailed by hostile posters. 

@Chi-town girl ,

No, I said I am not overly sensitive about  what people say about what I wear. But I also don't post mean things when someone asks for an opinion. I usually won't say anything at all especially if I know they will be hurt if I would say anything that wasn't complimentary.

But I don't mind it if people say they don't like things I like or even make fun of them. I just don't mind.If I ask for someones opinion and they say it looks stupid I might take that into consideration but if I don't agree, I'll still wear it and enjoy it.

If it were only that simple.  Being "hurt" is not at issue here @on the bay Neither is the notion that someone is giving another permission to purchase and wear an item others don't like.  

I do know what it's about though and I still don't care.  No one is always going to like everything they see. It's rough out here.  It's the nature of the beast.  You can't get everyone to like the stuff you're showcasing (especially me).

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Chi-town girl wrote:

@Chi-town girl ,

@on the bay  - thank you for the explanation.  

I'm not hurt by it but it does hurt this Fashion community - fewer posters, fewer threads/discussions bc of bullies.

The current group of moderators is doing a better job of managing the forums than the previous group -- this is appreciated!  

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Respected Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@LillyBee2 wrote:

I like to  read all the differant opinions and views on an item I'm thinking about purchasing.   I also like constructive  reviews that may point out flaws I had not considered, and colors and construction I did not  notice.    I do like  to hear others view of fashion, positve and negative.  However, the comments like it looks like a bag lady or I wouldn't be caught outside the house in that rag are just useless.  Then, to suggest that it's ok to purchase, if you like that sort of thing,  is off-putting at best and rude. 

@LillyBee2 

I get exactly what you're saying but I've never heard a constructive negative review that ended with 'but if you like it go ahead and buy it'

It just doesn't seem reasonable to me that you would dislike something but yet feel the need to encourage somebody else to purchase it anyway

Respected Contributor

It just doesn't seem reasonable to me that you would dislike something but yet feel the need to encourage somebody else to purchase it anyway

It is if you're trying to get your sales numbers up.

Respected Contributor

It is very difficult to judge how an item will look on anyone we don't know.  Personality is a key ingredient we can't see.

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

There's not a single person here, sorry to burst your bubble, that would make me second-guess a purchase just because they don't like it! I certainly don't need your permission to 'buy it and enjoy it anyway' even if you don't like it?!

Opinions are fine in a respectful and thoughtful manner and are frequently requested for the sake of a dialogue. Giving us your blessing, when you 'wouldn't wear it in million years', just sounds arrogant and condescending

@Andreatoo 

Check out post #9 in the Tolani dress thread.  As soon as I read it, I thought of this thread!  This is exactly what you were talking about.  So condescending. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett