Frequent Contributor

A few weeks ago, I received a Quaker Factory skort that smelled like mold.  I washed it and sprayed it with Febreze.  It seems to be okay now, but when I removed it from the package, the smell was very strong.  This is the only time it happened to me.  

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess I have received clothing with that strong chemical smell and also once purchased a stinky pair of jeans from a Fred Meyer.I washed and aired those jeans but nothing worked.I had to return because the heat of my body seemed to cause the fabric to off gas...those stinky chemical smells aren’t people’s imagination as you will see if you receive a garment that has the odor.Those clothing pieces have been chemically treated so we can only fault the manufacturer.

Trusted Contributor

I just received a pair of Chico's crop pants.  It had that same odor some of you have mentioned re jeans.

I hung them outside for a day; today I washed them.  Still a light smell.  So I sprayed them with Febreze.  Seems better right now.

Hope it stays that way!

Valued Contributor

I have had clothes that stink of something like gasoline or a strong chemical, can't really tell. I've been wondering lately if it isn't some sort of insecticide, as so many of the clothing if not all come from other countries and have a long hot journey to get here.

Valued Contributor

This does happen and we are not making it up! The stinky items are random. That's why I just don't quit shopping QVC. I've never had anything that smelled pre-worn in some way, just strong chemical smells. They do wash out but a few took several washes, likely because I had to wash them in cold due to the fabric contect. 

Trusted Contributor

The things that gets me is why does QVC send an item that obviously been worn to another customer.  I think most people would like to,have something that has not been worn again.  UGH!  That is bad business.

Honored Contributor

Only one time years ago, there was something that had a strong smell of dye ... it was a black dress - either the original Citiknits acetate spandex or one of SG's tank dresses.

But it was definitely a dye smell.  I've died yarn so I know what it smells like.

Arm &Hammer WASHING SODA (not baking soda) removes odors.  Just add about 1/4 cup to laundry.  I add it to every wash ... softens fabrics too!