Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@butterfly123 : It seems jeans in the indigo color will have that smell that just cannot be removed no matter what you do. 

Not every item so no way to know when something will arrive with that smell. It does smell like pesticides and I have tried every supposed trick to remove but have wound up returning.

@Sadiesadie 

I understand exactly. There are two products you may want to try. EnviroKlenz and Stink Out. Both are sold on Amazon and have reviews. I usually return the items also.

Esteemed Contributor

Black dye that smells like kerosene is something I've smelled on clothes in store and clothes ordered online.

Also one time years ago, I bought a black Chloe Dao jacket from QVC, it smelled so bad of kerosene that the scent came through the mailer bag. Needless to say it got sent back. There is no way to remove those fuel scented chemicals from those clothes.

Esteemed Contributor

Last winter I broke my personal rule and ordered a garment. Wouldn't you know, the fabric had a powerful stench!

This isn't a stink from being worn, or poor storage. It's the fabric itself.

I recognized the smell right away, as I have a pair of jeans that smell the same when I wash them but lose the odor after they dry.

I aired this garment outside for days, and tumbled it in a cool dryer.

Still stunk.

I decided I'd have to launder it a few times. (It's made in USA, so this wasn't something sprayed on prior to shipping.)

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  yes it does happen....it's a nasty oily smell.  I have ordered a lot of clothing over the years...and probably only had maybe 4-5 items that really smelled but it does happen.

Honored Contributor

I think people who are highly sensitive to odors might think the sizing in the clothes is offensive. Unless you by AS IS clothes and shoes they should not smell of perfume or body odors. I having been buying clothes from the Q for years and have a nose like a dog and have never received a bad smelling order, but I would never buy AS IS clothes. I did buy AS IS shoes once and the shoes came through with muddy bottoms and foot odors. I could not believe they sent those shoes out.

Honored Contributor
Amazing that those shipping out jeans with such a strong perfume smell would not have been aware of it. Maybe they are automated now. I have ordered a few as-is things and never any odor. I have been afraid of getting something someone had worn...really worn, if you know what I mean...but so far, so good.
Honored Contributor

Re: Stinky clothes?

[ Edited ]

Am surprised they don’t have some process for removing or neutralizing the chemical odors when they receive them. Guess they didn’t want to spend more money.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can only say that I have only heard that particular complaint from a few posters here.  I've been with QVC almost from the beginning; all my friends and most of the women in my family and half the women in my office were QVC shoppers.  Now I have a couple of young nieces who are QVCers and not single person I know has ever made such a complaint.  I lean toward not believing it happens because the people who complain don't stop shopping here.  Some don't even return the item, they talking about washing their alleged smelly item.  Who does something  that....LOL    The natural reaction would be to get mad and return the smelly item and if it happened again, never shop with that retailer again because it's disgusting.  

@chrystaltree.  I buy a lot of clothing, especially Denim & Co.  I've have received blue denim clothing numerous times with the penetrating musty odor.  Last week I got a Quacker pant that was one of the worse I've  received.  I also have 2 pairs of Joan Rivers crops that have "the stink".  Neither repeated washings nor airing will remove the odor.  However, I  have discovered that a spray with Don Aslett's X-O deodorizer applied a couple of times does a good job eliminating the smell, which is why I keep buying it.

Some people think it's the dyes that cause the smell since it's almost always the blue items.  However, the worst smelling thing I've received was a Susan Graver metal pendant on a long leather cord.  It was the cord that smelled, and it was so bad that I had to keep it in the garage.  I treated it and got rid of the smell.  This makes me wonder if it could be the insecticide with which containers are sprayed.

I don't understand why the Q doesn't require their manufacturers to correct this problem.  They must take a big loss on returned merchandise.  I would think the hosts and models would about gag having to handle and wear some of this stuff.  Maybe they treat it before presenting it?  Nobody is going to address the problem publically, that's for sure (except us).

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

My bad experience was     with  L L Bean.  Ordered denim type outer wear last fall - smelled to high-heaven.  Put it out on porch and there it stayed through the winter.  I forgot about it.  Washed it 3 times - awful oily bug spray combination - too late to return - kissed $60 good bye and tossed it in the trash.  So it's not just QVC products. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have never smelled my clothes but I do wash them for they come wrinkled to get creases out.