Honored Contributor

I have a nose like a blood hound and I have never had to return a product due to a lingering chemical smell. People complained about the Casper mattress and  smell. It indeed had a chemical smell for a few hours, but I slept on it that night with no odor noticed.

Honored Contributor

I buy a lot of QVC clothes (way too much and it's stupid).

The only clothes that really stink (really stink) are the jeans.  Always the dark jeans.  I've sent back so many pair of stinky blue jeans, I've lost count!

I cannot understand why they stink.  I assume it has to do with the die?  Someone once told me it has to do with the formaldehyde in the material.

If that were true why doesn't other clothes stink like that?  I have tried over and over to get the smell out.  I've used vinegar and I once found in the fabric store something that was guaranteed to take out the smell....it didn't work either.

Honored Contributor

Clothing made overseas is treated with pesticides before coming to the US. It is law. You may or may not smell it but it is there.

Honored Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Oh I'm not willing to just get rid of the smell, that smell shouldn't be there in the first place! Nope, I'm surely not going to keep something flled with pesticides! 

Yes, that is what I am thinking too. Why would any women want to put up with that?

.@apple1964@ID2.  Look up and read the thread from yesterday about an aggressive new tick species that  has arrived in the US.  That's just one bug that's gotten in; would you prefer to have thousands of others?  It's not QVC that decides pesticides should be sprayed, It's the Department of Agriculture.  All shipments get the treatment, not just Qvc's.  If you don't want to put up with it, quit buying clothes...from anywhere.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Quse wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The strong chemical smell is not dye as some people surmise but it's insecticide they spray on the big containers to hopefully eradicate insects.  I don't know why they also smell like mildew.  Whether or not your item stinks depends on its location in the container.  I've had many items with this smell but never had to send one back.  I even had a stinky piece of SG jewelry.

That’s interesting, because the only times I’ve ever had problems with odors of this type have been with black or very dark blue clothing. 

@jonbon I've had that same problem, and it's most definitely a chemical dye smell. I used to do art projects with dyes that smelled the same, and it was always the darker colors. Sometimes when I order black pants from QVC, they even feel different than other colors, in addition to the smell. Maybe pesticides are added too, but the reeking odor of chemical dye is overwhelming with black or indigo. I've had good luck with Oxyclean added to my laundry to get rid of the smell

@Quse. How do you explain the odor on my bleached denim pants, my cognac leather jacket, my SG necklace, my Dooney natural handbag?  I have almost no black or navy clothing but I've had plenty of stinky clothing and other items.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It's no wonder the U. S. is riddled with people having cancer.  It's probably caused from the insecticide used from goods being shipped from China. 

Honored Contributor

Our FRESH MARKET store got new plastic bags at check out. The smell was horrendous. The girls at the counter didn't smell it,I think probably becuz they smell it all day long. I wrote to the company. They said they were unaware and would look into it. In a month they had new bags. I prefer paper bags but sometimes I can't catch the packer-they are so busy chatting with the cashier that they forgot to ask.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Oh I'm not willing to just get rid of the smell, that smell shouldn't be there in the first place! Nope, I'm surely not going to keep something flled with pesticides! 

Yes, that is what I am thinking too. Why would any women want to put up with that?

.@apple1964@ID2.  Look up and read the thread from yesterday about an aggressive new tick species that  has arrived in the US.  That's just one bug that's gotten in; would you prefer to have thousands of others?  It's not QVC that decides pesticides should be sprayed, It's the Department of Agriculture.  All shipments get the treatment, not just Qvc's.  If you don't want to put up with it, quit buying clothes...from anywhere.

Wow! Calm down for crying out loud do not need to be so nasty. I have not been on these boards for weeks get on today and have to have someone snarky remark.Woman Mad

Valued Contributor

Re: Stinky New Clothes?

[ Edited ]

It's not just QVC items that are treated. Every item which comes from different countries will be shipped and, all are treated.

The clothes we see and purchase in regular store such as Macy's, have been out of their original bags and hung up in the stores for awhile. 

I received a few Susan Graver blouses and skirts recently and they must have been bagged while wet, they smelled awful, but, they were wrinkeled, and the wrinkles won't come out.

I can get the smell out by washing a few times before I wear them, not the wrinkles.

The worst item I received was from HSN, one of Diane's stretch jeans, I had them for two years and after two wearings, I wore them only to do yard work in. The stink of the chemical was horendous.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stinky New Clothes?

[ Edited ]

Never thought of that chemical smell as being insecticide for bugs!!!  Grosses me out!! I don't order clothing online anymore for that many reasons and now that one is #1 on my list, and for others too--I go to my fav brick and mortar store and always find what I need, the right size and no waiting for it to be shipped. I have gotten many things in the past that smelled and sent them back. I find that black denim is a major culprit. Aways sniff the things I buy too--I know a little weird but if it stinks, I don't buy!!! Have never had any luck with the DYI remedies to remove it either.