Respected Contributor

Was shocked to read how elderly this man is.  How can he continue working and travelling ?  I know many people 20 years younger than him who are completely sedentary.  Many of us are on Oxygen as well.  I always thought he was in his late 70s.

Honored Contributor

Re: Stan Herman 91 years old ?

Lots of energy, good genes.  He may be a "Type A" personality. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Reever  Staying busy is what probably keeps him in good shape. Good for him! Keep going Stan.

Respected Contributor

I have family members who are his age, and still very active. None of them are on oxygen. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Probably the same way Betty White does it  !!!!!   (She's turning 100 in January.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Was shocked to read how elderly this man is.  How can he continue working and travelling ?  I know many people 20 years younger than him who are completely sedentary.  Many of us are on Oxygen as well.  I always thought he was in his late 70s.

@Reever  Well because obviously everyone is different. 🙄

Stan used to talk about his father a lot, who was very old when he passed. As someone else mentioned, Stan has good genes, as well as many other contrubuting factors. 

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Probably the same way Betty White does it  !!!!!   (She's turning 100 in January.)

Great example @Desertdi .  Betty and Stan are continuing their careers as it's their passion.  Not everyone wants to quit working.  

Honored Contributor

Good for Stan! Keep active physically and mentally. It helps. I don't know anyone on oxygen. Never have.

Super Contributor

Stan Herman is 93 years old.

Respected Contributor

Luck of the draw, er ... genes. Plus motivation. I've seen many in my life and career who were in their 90's and still on their feet and moderately active.

In fact, I have a neighbor in his 90's, right now, who still drives and only stopped delivering for Meals on Wheels a few years ago. After he retired, he immediately sought avenues for assisting others, instead of languishing at home. He spent years as a volunteer in a local hospital, too.

He is mentally as sharp as a tack, too. No signs of cognitive impairment. His mantra is to never stop, that if you stop, you decline. Decline long enough and you can't come back.

I've been blessed with beautiful, inspiring neighbors. I also have an 86 year old neighbor who still drives and goes to Planet Fitness every morning. He also is the caregiver for his wife who is in poor health. Busy man.

Too many seniors begin to feel devalued and simply give up. Doing something we love, as we age, is a motivator to get up and going on those cranky, achy brakey days most will have.

Feeling we are important contributors can extend life and happiness to the end. Feeling some joy from any positive experience releases happy hormones, at any age, we can all use.