Esteemed Contributor

No.  I see a lot of different looks.  None of which appeal to me yet.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Regular Contributor

Naturally very few outings this past year to see fashion. Today, though, attended a funeral mass for a friend.  When leaving, noticed the woman's jacket in front of me was all ragged at the bottom of her off white jacket. Thought it was damaged then noticed all the fraying on shoulders and sleeves.  Not my style, but this might be some of the new frayed look being discussed here.  Much more exaggerated than any frayed edges seen on Q clothing.

Honored Contributor

@DancinQueen wrote:

Naturally very few outings this past year to see fashion. Today, though, attended a funeral mass for a friend.  When leaving, noticed the woman's jacket in front of me was all ragged at the bottom of her off white jacket. Thought it was damaged then noticed all the fraying on shoulders and sleeves.  Not my style, but this might be some of the new frayed look being discussed here.  Much more exaggerated than any frayed edges seen on Q clothing.

@DancinQueen 

Yep, "frayed" is a trend.  Poor choice to pay respect in my book;  no, it wasn't her only jacket if she wore that!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

Bloggers are actually just catching up .... we wore sneakers with our dresses and suits back in the 1960s.

---------------------------------------------------

For NYers, that's been a "look" going back lots of years.  Majority of women I worked with wore sneakers back and forth to work.  We all had a drawer of shoes in the office.  

Walking blocks to and from subway stations, up and down subway stairs ....  sneakers are a way of life.  

We laughed the 1980s movie "Working Girl," where the character wearing heels, takes the Staten Island Ferry into Manhattan ... changed from heels into sneakers once she got into the office.  

"Griffith’s sympathetic lead, Tess McGill, is a secretary from Staten Island who, like a lot of Staten Islanders, commutes every morning to Wall Street for work."

I had the same commute from 1967 to 1970 ... and wore sneakers to work.

--------------------------

@ECBG wrote:

One trend I am seeing on line and hear constantly from bloggers is "tennis shoes or trainers" with skirts.  There are plenty of comfortable shoes today!  One doesn't need to wear tennis shoes.  I think it's unbecoming.

See the source image

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

I am sure the ladies that used to walk so far from the subway to their offices wore sneakers, which is a necessity.

I don't count that look as a "fashion statement" .

"Fashion is a form of self-expression and autonomy at a particular period and place and in a specific context, of clothing, footwear, lifestyle, accessories, makeup, hairstyle, and body posture. In its everyday use, the term implies a look defined by the fashion indust…".
Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG I would rather people wear sneakers than ruin their feet!

I rarely wear sneakers myself, because I prefer shoes and sandals.  But maybe if I had worn sneakers in my 20s and 30s, instead of my 3" Charles Jourdan pumps, which were my standard walking shoes then (i have never liked changing my shoes when arriving at an event, where do I carry them), my feet wouldn't be in such pain now.

Don't you have bunions yourself, and difficulty finding shoes?

Honored Contributor

Fraying is definitely a trend. There are also lots of brightly multi colored bold prints for Spring & Summer. 

Neither of these trends are my style, but if others like them, that's fine. There are still plenty of items out there for me to like and buy. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Spring fashion trends?

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I rarely wear sneakers myself, because I prefer shoes and sandals.  But maybe if I had worn sneakers in my 20s and 30s, instead of my 3" Charles Jourdan pumps, which were my standard walking shoes then (i have never liked changing my shoes when arriving at an event, where do I carry them), my feet wouldn't be in such pain now.

@NYCLatinaMe 

TOTALLY support those smart women who figured out to carry their shoes to work from the subway!  Those were really trail blazers.

There are many brands that have cute stylish shoes AND are foot smart today when wearing a skirt.

This is the comfort brand Naot.  This shoe would have been adorable with her skirt and as comfortable as a tennis shoe.  There are many choices.

I do have a bunion and a metarsal issue as well from years of standing.  If I don't have a pad behind the balls of my foot, I feel like the bottom of my foot is sunburned after 5 hours of walking and standing.

I use shoe stretchers and a bunion stretcher for a perfect fit if something is a little snug.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe 

I can empathize with you as I was a teacher who wore heels (2.5" - 3" range) 3 out of 5 days a week for 25+ years. Our campus was spread out so I did  A LOT of walking between buildings. I remember days, when I thought I could not take another step.  Not only did I wear heels but they were not always a good. fit.  If I found shoes in a color I needed and at a good sale price, I bought them even if they were a half size too small.

I am 70 years old and the #1 thing for me is comfort. (both clothing and shoes) That being said, comfortable shoes do not have to be unattractive.

As for spring fashion, it seems what's old is new again.  Depending on the catalog or website and who they cater to, you see everything and anything.

We all have our likes and dislikes.  We all know what we think flatters us and fits our life style. Anyone can be a fashion blogger; anyone can be a fashion expert. I say, wear what makes you happy.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@NYCLatinaMe 

TOTALLY support those smart women who figured out to carry their shoes to work from the subway!  Those were really trail blazers.

There are many brands that have cute stylish shoes AND are foot smart today when wearing a skirt.

This is the comfort brand Naot.  This shoe would have been adorable with her skirt and as comfortable as a tennis shoe.  There are many choices.

I do have a bunion and a metarsal issue as well from years of standing.  If I don't have a pad behind the balls of my foot, I feel like the bottom of my foot is sunburned after 5 hours of walking and standing.

I use shoe stretchers and a bunion stretcher for a perfect fit if something is a little snug.Smiley Happy

Those sneakers might have saved your feet from these issues.  I don't believe in putting fashion over health and realize now I was foolish.  I didn't know when I was in my 20s and 30s that those heels would ruin my feet.  There are many more choices now.  I am glad you have found some relief.