Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee  When my daughter lived in McLean VA, she was shocked how expensive everything was compared to home in NC. Department stores, chain stores in malls, etc. certainly have the same prices coast to coast. Cost of services cost vary greatly. At her hair salon, for example, she now paid $125 for a haircut and in NC at a comparable salon paid $85. The cost of living in that city is so high that unless you earn a lot, people live as much as 50 miles away from their jobs and commute to McLean. I'm sure this is true all over the country. The cost of clothing is pretty much the same across the board unless you are in a boutique or privately owned shop. That explains the difference in price of the sweater between your shop and the one in Aspen. Prices tend to match the level of income. 

Honored Contributor

when you are talking about a big ticket items like housing, rent, gas/electric,  gasoline, groceries, restaurants, taxes and such, i do believe location DOES matter.

when talking about a blouse, not so much.  i do believe it is more of what your comfort level is or what your income level is as to what you will pay for that article of clothing.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

What you all are not understanding is not that it's about the cost of an item -- it is about income in various areas. I can absolutely guarantee you that an ICU nurse working in Pittsburgh or somewhere in the midwest , even though she is doing the exact same job and has the exact same education & experience, does not have the same income as an ICU RN in NYC or LA . What each person in an area makes for doing a job varies by areas very greatly.

Honored Contributor
In your opening post you asked where we live because, in your words, prices vary greatly. Now, since it's been pointed out that the prices are the same on clothes around the country from national retailers, you're saying you want to know what our incomes are?
Honored Contributor

Does a Brahmin bag in St Louis cost less than one in San Francisco or does a Brahmin bag in Americus, Ga, cost less?  I don't think so.  They are the same price.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking of prices

[ Edited ]

If a national chain is selling a clothing item it is not changing the retail price based on geography.   If a sweater is $ 79.99 in Macy's (at full price) then it is that price in the Macy's in NYC, Cedar Rapids, Iowa and SAN Francisco.  That does not prevent another retailer in those places for selling the same sweater for $99.99

Esteemed Contributor

I can say this from experience.....I was looking for some warmer pajamas because it looks like we are in for a cold winter this year. I went to Kohl's online and found what I was looking for ...for 21.99.

Hubby said he wanted to get another grey tie for his suit and I figured I would just see what Kohl's had in their store first for pajamas. I figured that they were probably all picked over already and that was why I was just looking online in the first place.

Well....the SAME pajamas in the same colors were 19.99 in the store

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

What you all are not understanding is not that it's about the cost of an item -- it is about income in various areas. I can absolutely guarantee you that an ICU nurse working in Pittsburgh or somewhere in the midwest , even though she is doing the exact same job and has the exact same education & experience, does not have the same income as an ICU RN in NYC or LA . What each person in an area makes for doing a job varies by areas very greatly.

Yes.   Please rememeber that next time you rant about what people buy and how much they spend.  We've been telling you that for years 

Esteemed Contributor

As an aside although not geographics, I noticed with my aging mother that she thought everything was so expensive. It was because she was not buying as much and not seeing and keeping up with the changing prices. For instance, she got stuck somewhere in time and thought $39.99 was what an average dress should cost. She got stuck in a time warp cost for clothing.

Not with groceries. She shopped and got used to the changing prices.

It could be people are shocked at the price of clothes because the prices are changing so rapidly, they don't get time to adjust to prices.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:
@SilleeMee
I can find the same item at opposite ends of the same mall, that are different prices, but not in the same retailer. Macy's in New York cannot charge more money then let's say the Macy's in Florida. The only people that get the short end of the national retailer pricing are those that live in Hawaii and Alaska. While I haven't tested the theory I'm pretty sure the Starbucks in Washington DC charges the same thing for a cup of coffee at the Starbucks in Miami does

@Andreatoo,

I ordered a coffee from McDonald's in Vail and it cost nearly twice as much as it does here in the city. That's just one example...I'm sure there are more. Employees of that McDonald's have been provided a "dorm"  to live in because of the high cost of rent there. Of course they don't have to live there, but it's available to them nonetheless.