Respected Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

As an aside although not geographics, I noticed with my aging mother that she thought everything was so expensive. It was because she was not buying as much and not seeing and keeping up with the changing prices. For instance, she got stuck somewhere in time and thought $39.99 was what an average dress should cost. She got stuck in a time warp cost for clothing.

Not with groceries. She shopped and got used to the changing prices.

It could be people are shocked at the price of clothes because the prices are changing so rapidly, they don't get time to adjust to prices.

I read this and thought of my Hubby.  I usually get him clothes, cologne, wallets things like that for Christmas and Birthdays.  If I am running around at the mall and notice he needed new underwear/socks, I pick those up.   We went shopping together earlier this year and he about died when we went to the Gap and he bought some of this stuff himself.  LOL, I just cracked up. 

Deb

Respected Contributor

I was kind of wondering the same thing regarding locatoin and prices.  I am here in CA and I know what my chain steak house will cost myself and hubby for dinner out.  I sent a $50 gift card to my frineds in Louisville, KY and wondered if it would cost them the same for the same dinner? 

Deb

Trusted Contributor

Eeverything an I mean everything sky high,every vendor wants to make a living.

Honored Contributor
@Nataliesgrandma
That happens frequently! I was shocked the first time I caught that. It was Nordstrom's and I discovered when I went online alot was cheaper there than in the store. The shirt that I was eyeing was $20 less online! Was still more than I was willing to pay for a tank top but I was pretty shocked when I saw that
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

IMO - it would be tremendously helpful if people would say where they live when they are commenting on pricing. It doesn't have to be specific but just something like "pacific NW " or " or "Midwest" etc. As the COL and thus the cost of everything varies greatly across the country - when one person is saying a $50 shirt is outrageous and another thinks a $50 top is normal - it would be helpful to know that one lives in NYC or Chicago areas and the other may live in rural Va or Iowa. Most especially when speaking of property values but , really, everything is affected by this.

I think I have I have to agree, someone like from New York may think $50.00 is ok because everything else in New York seems to be expensive.  I think TJMaxx, Ross and Khols have nice things for reasonable prices. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I remembe my DH was in LA on business and he needed a pen, so he ran across the street from the hotel to an office supply store - he was shocked that a pack of BIC pens that cost around $5 iin Pitts. were over $20 in LA.

I find that hard to believe.  I'm from LA and never ever has a pack of Bics unless it is a gross been priced over 20.00.

Expensive is relative.  Expensive is expensive no matter where you live.  The only difference is sales tax.  That will vary from state to state and county to county.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:
@SilleeMee
I can find the same item at opposite ends of the same mall, that are different prices, but not in the same retailer. Macy's in New York cannot charge more money then let's say the Macy's in Florida. The only people that get the short end of the national retailer pricing are those that live in Hawaii and Alaska. While I haven't tested the theory I'm pretty sure the Starbucks in Washington DC charges the same thing for a cup of coffee at the Starbucks in Miami does

@Andreatoo,

I ordered a coffee from McDonald's in Vail and it cost nearly twice as much as it does here in the city. That's just one example...I'm sure there are more. Employees of that McDonald's have been provided a "dorm"  to live in because of the high cost of rent there. Of course they don't have to live there, but it's available to them nonetheless.

Actually, the prices do vary from one Starbucks to another.

Honored Contributor

@jonbon

I hadn't tested that theory but I do know that in the case of MacDonald's and/or Starbucks there's the franchise aspect to consider....

Honored Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

IMO - it would be tremendously helpful if people would say where they live when they are commenting on pricing. It doesn't have to be specific but just something like "pacific NW " or " or "Midwest" etc. As the COL and thus the cost of everything varies greatly across the country - when one person is saying a $50 shirt is outrageous and another thinks a $50 top is normal - it would be helpful to know that one lives in NYC or Chicago areas and the other may live in rural Va or Iowa. Most especially when speaking of property values but , really, everything is affected by this.

I think I have I have to agree, someone like from New York may think $50.00 is ok because everything else in New York seems to be expensive.  I think TJMaxx, Ross and Khols have nice things for reasonable prices. 

But that's totally different then what she was posting about in her OP. 

Whenever we have threads about the cost of salon services, it's nothing for people in NYC, LA, etc. to pay several hundred dollars for those services.  In my area, that is an astronomical charge and no one would pay that so salons don't charge that. 

But the OP specifically talks about clothing prices, and no they aren't different depending on where you live, unless you are talking about boutique items. 

Esteemed Contributor

About clothing, but not prices. I've noticed high-end department stores in malls carry different, higher-priced clothing pieces in richer communities than the same stores in lower-priced communities.