Honored Contributor

IMO - it would be tremendously helpful if people would say where they live when they are commenting on pricing. It doesn't have to be specific but just something like "pacific NW " or " or "Midwest" etc. As the COL and thus the cost of everything varies greatly across the country - when one person is saying a $50 shirt is outrageous and another thinks a $50 top is normal - it would be helpful to know that one lives in NYC or Chicago areas and the other may live in rural Va or Iowa. Most especially when speaking of property values but , really, everything is affected by this.

Respected Contributor

Personally, even though everything is relative, I feel that $50 for a shirt is expensive, no matter where you live. I guess if that's an average price in the stores where you live, you eventually become desensitized and see that price as "normal". I refuse to pay that much for any article of clothing (except for special occasion outfits or outerwear) when I know I can get a good quality garment for half of that at the places where I shop like TJMaxx, Marshall's or Ross.

Honored Contributor

I'm retired and I live in NYC ... it depends on where I intend to wear the top.  If it's something for just everyday wear ... I buy that stuff at LandsEnd or JCP.   

Before I retired - I had work clothes, home clothes and dressy clothes.  I've disposed of the work clothes and now have home clothes, dressy clothes and "out" clothes.  (My work clothes used to double as "out" clothes.)

Anything I intend to wear "outside" - restaurants, church, appointments, meetings, etc., I'll spend a bit more.  I don't think $50+ is too much to spend for that for something "nice."

I don't buy a lot of dressy things anymore.  I've pared that down to a few "Little Black Dresses" that can be accessorized for any occasion.

Same with shoes ... in house/around shoes, out shoes and dressy shoes. 

(I think it all goes back to childhood.  We had school clothes (uniforms), play clothes and dressy clothes (Sundays, visiting, etc.)

Respected Contributor

What does it matter where we live? 

If $50 for a shirt is too expensive, it's too expensive whether you live in Chicago or the boondocks.  People have different budgets and different tastes.   

Honored Contributor

Pleasec don't go off on a tangent on the price of clothes and try to keep this on subject. 

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

What does it matter where we live? 

If $50 for a shirt is too expensive, it's too expensive whether you live in Chicago or the boondocks.  People have different budgets and different tastes.   

Do you really not understand that the cost of an exact same item can vary greatly by where in the USA you live?  Do you think a slice of pizza costs the same in LA as it does in W. Va? It doesn't.  And it has nothing to do with budget or taste -- it has to do with the COST OF LIVING in the area or various areas of the country.

Honored Contributor

You are wrong. A national chain does not adjust their prices for region

Respected Contributor

The prices online for clothes do not differ from Florida to Chicago or even LA.

The price for a pizza might.   

Again, I can find a cheap t shirt for $10 and a t shirt for several hundred dollars.   It goes back to taste and budget 

Honored Contributor

I remembe my DH was in LA on business and he needed a pen, so he ran across the street from the hotel to an office supply store - he was shocked that a pack of BIC pens that cost around $5 iin Pitts. were over $20 in LA.

Respected Contributor

He could have gotten a free pen from the room or the front desk.   I doubt pens cost $20 in LA