Trusted Contributor

Re: Solved: Sleeveless Turtleneck Issue

You don't really need pinking shears.  Knits won't fray like wovens.  If you cut off the sleeves of a woven blouse then pinking the raw edge is a good idea.  But it isn't necessary for t-shirt knits or sweater knits.  I cut sleeves off of white t-shirts last spring to make them into shells to wear under jackets.  It worked well.  

Honored Contributor

Any ideas / suggestions re: new pinking shears?

I had a very old one, which 'disappeared'.........and also a newer one, more or less, that don't really work well. 

If anyone out there has brand suggestions, thank you!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY 

I bought these from Amazon in June - only $8.99.  Probably the best I've ever owned.

NEJLSD Pinking Shears for Fabric Ultra Sharp Comfort Grips Dressmaking Pinking Shears Zig Zag Cut Scissors Sewing Scissors,Professional Handheld Dressmaking (RED)

Honored Contributor

To me just cutting off sleeves or legs and leaving a raw edge smacks of laziness.  If I'm going to alter a garment, I want to do it so it's finished nicely.  I take pride in my work, even alterations.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

To me just cutting off sleeves or legs and leaving a raw edge smacks of laziness.  If I'm going to alter a garment, I want to do it so it's finished nicely.  I take pride in my work, even alterations.

I take pride in my work, too.  But since I never take off the jacket or pullover and the edges don't show, I think it is ok.  The edge is very flat and does not show a stitched edge or ridge.  

Honored Contributor

ALRATIBA:

A big Thank You for your suggestion.  I will order!

Saves me a lot of time looking around, and wondering if a particular brand will work well.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

A pinked edge is decorative.  No need for "finishing."  It's already "finished."

-------------------------------------

@Kachina624 wrote:

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA.  I don't consider it "decorative", and after the garment is washed, it looks progressively worse or less decorative.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA  you might not be interested ,but Talbot's is showing a turtleneck with just a tiny cap sleeve this season

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@ALRATIBA  you might not be interested ,but Talbot's is showing a turtleneck with just a tiny cap sleeve this season

@cherry 

Thanks ... but I've already "made" enough in a variety of colors.  I'm good until next year.