Esteemed Contributor

Solution to drooping bra strap mystery

I have worn the same style bra for many years. My shape must have changed because about a year ago, the left strap kept slipping down my shoulder. It was SO annoying, but especially so when I was working out. One day a lightbulb went off over my head. I placed a dab of Vaseline on my shoulder and voilà. The strap stayed in place all through my workout. I was thrilled! I thought I’d pass along the solution to my problem.

Respected Contributor

Re: Solution to drooping bra strap mystery

Do you have scoliosis?  That can cause one shoulder to drop over time.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

No, I don’t have scoliosis. At 71, I realized my shoulders changed a bit. Maybe it was the result of workouts, maybe old age, but I solved my problem.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I'll try this.  I've had this problem with both straps.  Especially if there isn't any elastic in the straps.  If I get sweaty, the straps will stay up.  Whats up with that?  I don't like wearing bras for this reason.  Don't worry, I wear them in public.   Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

As we age our shoulders get narrower and slop downward.  Thus the bra straps wont stay up.  I have mostly racerback bras.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks!!!!!  I'll try this.

I injured my left shoulder and the shape/slope was permanently changed, giving me that constantly slipping strap.

Esteemed Contributor

Another reason for a dropping bra strap is that over time the bra's band width loosens up and sometimes will ride up in the back so you then shorten the bra straps because they are falling down. Moving the bra hook to make the back band tighter will help.

I generally have a problem with the left strap that tends to fall off my shoulder. I don't have scoliosis either.

Honored Contributor

I think you lost some weight in breast changing   your cup size. It doesn't take much to alter the fit of a bra..try and insert or go down a cup size

Honored Contributor

I have 1 word for you.  I'm giggling as I say this....suspenders!!!! lol.

Respected Contributor

My bra strap used to slip off my shoulder all the time until I started buying a model that has elastic straps. Now they don't slip off anymore.