Respected Contributor

Re: Solution to drooping bra strap mystery

@SilleeMeeI'm always having those 'duh' momentsWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Bra straps always seem to be too long on my small frame. I have to adjust them all the way to the shortest length and they're still a bit too long. I wish they would make bras for a petite woman. In other words, make the straps shorter and also make the cups closer together, with less distance between them.  Does that make any sense?

Hi @SilleeMee. In case you can’t see me, I’m raising my hand. I take all my bras to my tailor. For $6, she takes 1” off each strap and then they adjust perfectly for the life of the bra...according to the bra depts., about a year. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Bra straps always seem to be too long on my small frame. I have to adjust them all the way to the shortest length and they're still a bit too long. I wish they would make bras for a petite woman. In other words, make the straps shorter and also make the cups closer together, with less distance between them.  Does that make any sense?

Hi @SilleeMee. In case you can’t see me, I’m raising my hand. I take all my bras to my tailor. For $6, she takes 1” off each strap and then they adjust perfectly for the life of the bra...according to the bra depts., about a year. 

That's wonderful!  Years ago, before I lost the use of my hands, I was a professional seamstress and I would do all of my own alterations, including bra straps. That was nice having everything fit perfectly. But now I hate to have to pay someone else to do it for me...lol! $6 is reasonable. Not sure what that would cost here and thanks for mentioning it. I will ask the next time I go to the tailor.Woman Happy @Shanus

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

That's wonderful!  Years ago, before I lost the use of my hands, I was a professional seamstress and I would do all of my own alterations, including bra straps. That was nice having everything fit perfectly. But now I hate to have to pay someone else to do it for me...lol! $6 is reasonable. Not sure what that would cost here and thanks for mentioning it. I will ask the next time I go to the tailor.Woman Happy @Shanus

@SilleeMee  So sorry about your hands. I just can’t imagine that. Sometimes dry cleaners have tailors on staff and their prices are more reasonable.

Honored Contributor

Thank you Heart @Shanus

My sewing days are far behind me now. I specialized in formal gowns and cocktail dresses for some of ladies who wanted nothing but custom and one-of-kind. Some of my gowns have been passed down to the younger girls in those families. I had one lady call to ask if I could alter a gown I made for her years ago. She wanted it sized down to fit her daughter. I told her I could no longer do that kind of work and I cried after that conversation. I have many good memories of those seamstress days. I loved shopping for fabrics and all the notions, embellishments...sigh.

Honored Contributor

I used these all the time. Solved my drooping bra straps

Strapeez

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Thank you Heart @Shanus

My sewing days are far behind me now. I specialized in formal gowns and cocktail dresses for some of ladies who wanted nothing but custom and one-of-kind. Some of my gowns have been passed down to the younger girls in those families. I had one lady call to ask if I could alter a gown I made for her years ago. She wanted it sized down to fit her daughter. I told her I could no longer do that kind of work and I cried after that conversation. I have many good memories of those seamstress days. I loved shopping for fabrics and all the notions, embellishments...sigh.

@SilleeMee  That is sad, but you do have such good memories and sounds like you loved your work. Your beautiful sewing and designs was appreciated by so many. ❤️