Honored Contributor

making a short film (long commercial ) about Coco Chanel?  Ms Chanel was an ardent Nazi agent who designed clothing on the side.  Hard work keeping two careers going on at once.  From what I've read about the film it's white washed nicely.  Called Once and Forever it avoids anyone playing Chanel.  Kristen Stewart plays an actress playing Chanel.  At least it won't embarrasse the French. I'm sure they'll skip the Nazi part and dwell on clothes.  And not embarrasse his empoyer

Ms. Chanel was a was a wretched human being. "Anti-Semitic, homophobic, social climbing, opportunistic, ridiculously snobbish and given to sins of phrase-making like “If blonde, use blue perfume,” she was addicted to morphine and actively collaborated with the Germans during the Nazi occupaton and war."   But she established a hell of a empire.  And fantastic perfumes, clothes, bags, etc.  An enduring legacy of short memories.

Honored Contributor

Re: So why is Karl Largerfeld

Well bless your heart. Do you feel better now?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Because he wants to??

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

making a short film (long commercial ) about Coco Chanel?  Ms Chanel was an ardent Nazi agent who designed clothing on the side.  Hard work keeping two careers going on at once.  From what I've read about the film it's white washed nicely.  Called Once and Forever it avoids anyone playing Chanel.  Kristen Stewart plays an actress playing Chanel.  At least it won't embarrasse the French. I'm sure they'll skip the Nazi part and dwell on clothes.  And not embarrasse his empoyer

Ms. Chanel was a was a wretched human being. "Anti-Semitic, homophobic, social climbing, opportunistic, ridiculously snobbish and given to sins of phrase-making like “If blonde, use blue perfume,” she was addicted to morphine and actively collaborated with the Germans during the Nazi occupaton and war."   But she established a hell of a empire.  And fantastic perfumes, clothes, bags, etc.  An enduring legacy of short memories.

Actually when she revived the house of Chanel in 1954 it was not at all well received by Parisians who felt her association with the Nazis had tainted her reputation. It was the British and Americans who became her faithful customers.

There is no doubt from de-classified military intelligence documents that she had a considerable amount of involvement, much more than previously thought. She was very close with Walter Schellenberg (chief of SS intelligence) who after the Nuremberg Trials was sentenced to 6 yrs  but was released early due to poor health. When he was released from jail in 1951 she paid his medical and living expenses, financially supported his family and paid for his funeral.

Despite all of this I still like Chanel and purchase their products. I would not have if she was alive and still running it but she is not. If we protested companies that aided the Nazis, there would be a lot of American companies we would have to boycott here. 

Karl Lagerfeld is a whack job. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

what next around here?

Respected Contributor

@songbird, did you know her personally??  Sure sounds like you did.

I do love her parfum. 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't know any of that about Chanel.  What a horrible history lesson.  And,yes,I tthink we DO know her personality based on this. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

........now tell us what you really think...lol.   

Honored Contributor

He's pretty old....and the film was made a couple years ago

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

honestly don't  think people much care about coco chanel and her shenanigans anymore.  more important things are happening in the world today to be concerned about.