Occasional Contributor

Re: So while our thoughts and prayers are focused on Joan...

On 8/30/2014 MJ FAN 4 EVER said:
On 8/30/2014 KathiL said:

I just posted a response to a similar thread in Fashion, but wanted to repeat it here.

As you can see, I really don't post often, but wanted to reply to this. My husband is a musician and has played behind a lot of celebrities when they have come to our town including, Sammy Davis, Jr., Ella Fitzgerald, Johnny Mathis, The Four Tops & Temptations, Rich Little, etc.

When Joan performed here, all the band had to do was play "Anchors Aweigh" when she came on stage and then again when she left - that was all! Yet, he said she would personally thank each and every musician after each show. And, on the last night, she personally gave each of them a handwritten thank you note along with a nice bottle of wine. He said she was the most gracious star he ever met and he has never forgotten that.

Needless to say, our thoughts and prayers are with Joan and her family.

KathiL...

How neat of you to share that special story. It shows how gracious she is. Behind all the sharp tongue jokes, she really is a kind-hearted person. And isn't that what it should be about? Too many times, all they talk about is celebrities who look this way or do something that others think is "weird," or talk about their personal lives... how many times do we ever hear how good someone is or how much they helped people in the world? We don't, until they are gone and then everyone is so in awe. I just know the way Joan talks to her customers on QVC on the presentation calls, she is a kind person. She always shows such respect and appreciation to her customers. And, she always tries to make us feel good about ourselves.

In Hebrew, Joan is a "mench..." which means "a really good person who cares about others."

People always make fun of her plastic surgeries, but a lot of that is her own inner insecurities and demons and inner fears. If it gave her the confidence at her age to do all that she has been doing, who cares about her looks. Inside, she is a true MENCH! And, that is what truly matters in this life.

MJ FAN 4 EVER - That story is one that has always stuck with me. As I said, my husband played (saxophone) for a lot of celebrities, some have been gracious while others never even acknowledged the band. But, even though all they played for Joan was "Anchors Aweigh", that was always one of his favorite.

Honored Contributor

My FIRST purchase was Joan's bee pins. I own two of her quilted barn jackets and several of her suit jackets. I pray for her and her family. Joan could run circles around me! Wish I had her energy and strength!

Honored Contributor

""Now and Forever"" is her fragrance. I think it was brought back in the last couple of years.

Honored Contributor

I always enjoyed her shows whether I purchased or not. I do remember Spike. She certainly is a dog lover. I did have a set of her bee pins, but donated them last year since I didn't wear them. I have 2 or 3 of her earring sets, several jackets, pants, many nail polishes. I did buy her cosmetic line when it was on QVC and always hoped QVC would bring it back. Of course I don't know her personally, but I can't get her out of my mind since this awful thing happened. She and her family are in my prayers.

Honored Contributor

I loved watching Joan, she was a class act. She seemed like a kind and generous lady. I love her cherry pin, her bee pins, and many of her jackets. She seemed to be so proud of Cooper and enjoyed the time she was able to spend with him. I believe losing her sister on her 80th birthday took a toll on her.

Esteemed Contributor

I have her watches, pins, scarfs, jackets, tops, earrings, evil eye bracelets, but watched her way before QVC.

I loved her and Kathy Levine together. Are any of the host commenting on this?

So sad, still on life support. She has to come through. She will never know us, but we know here and are praying for a recovery, but one where she is herself, not incapable, I do not imagine she would want that.

Poor Melissa, her grandson Cooper. and David Dangle. I pray for their hurts also.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed watching Joan with Dennis and she was great with all the hosts. I thought she was so vital and sharp. And I thought she was very pretty and liked all the many many times she made fun of herself. I haven't bought much from Joan, but I still use her lipstick liner. It's the best lip liner of many in a collection.

God bless Joan, and I pray He brings her back safe and well to us..

Respected Contributor

I On 8/30/2014 mstraditional said:

i adore my egg necklace, my victorian flower necklace and have recently resurrected my gold link necklace with black leather woven through it. these are from years ago and have stood the test of time. i have some beautiful things thanks to her - and some that got away. still think about that beautiful hummingbird that i didn't lunge for. i don't think anything will surpass the duo of Kathy L and Joan - they were just simpatico. and now i am hoping for new memories once we get a bit of a miracle here.

I have that flower necklace also, I may take it out and wear it to remind me to think of Joan and her family.

Super Contributor

I own four of her boyfriend blouses with pockets. They are the best made blouses I've ever had and I always get tons of compliments when I wear them. Her clothing is classy and simple, yet timeless. Just like her.

Valued Contributor

Best Wishes for joan and a speedy recovery . She was really a great gal and made me laugh.

cathy from ma