Esteemed Contributor

So much knit and spandex out there anymore...

I spent the day out shopping yesterday. I wanted to buy a cotton blend top/blouse with a small colorful print and I couldn't find anything! I saw racks and racks of fall/winter clothing all marked down and nobody buying. J C penney and Kohls were the worst. I don't ever remember seeing so many winter sweaters, coats, boots....tons of boots still in stores this time of year.

It just seemed like the only Spring tops I saw were all some very thin stretchy knit. What happened to all the cotton, cotton blends?

Honored Contributor

Re: So much knit and spandex out there anymore...

I understand your observations.  I hate polyester.  It's clothing made with plastic.  It is impossible to get an oil based stain out of it and it doesn't breath and makes you feel hot.

I only wear natural fabrics and have found cotton at Macy's, Christopher Banks, Lands End and LL Bean.  

Good luck.  I hope you can find what you're looking for.

Esteemed Contributor

You know....spandex is in everything because it makes clothes more "forgiving" in how they fit. I think it's a great invention myself. Also, of course, the U.S. Population is larger than ever (obese) with no sign of that trend reversing. 

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 I agree! As a "big girl" myself, I appreciate a little stretch. Also, I hate to iron, so 100% cotton and linen are out for me. I will NOT spend 20 minutes ironing something only to have it look like I slept in it by the time I reach my destination! I envy those women who somehow always manage to look fresh and unwrinkled while wearing those fabrics---I'm not one of them!

Honored Contributor

I like a little stretch in my jeans, but in the summer there is nothing like a 100% cotton top.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma

Cabi has some great spring prints!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

absolutely hate all cotton.......it has to be mixed with with something else or i wont buy . i dont care for how all cotton items fade, shrink, stretch out, and pill. i think when they are mixed with another fabric they wash and wear so much better.

if you are looking for all cotton items check out JJILL and their pure jill line.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I second the JJill recommendation.

[MacDuff waves to @sunshine45]

I, too, am still seeing lots of sale winter clothing in the stores...probably more than usual.

I have learned to simplify my shopping...I cruise the racks by feel (and I look for my colors)...if an item bounces too much, I don't even pull it out to look LOL!  My experience, tho, is that I'm finding a little less bounce in tops for spring.

My preference is for a LITTLE bit of a mix in my cotton.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF@sunshine45

I can endorse Talbot's cotton blend. It is weighty enough to remain sharp and doesn't let all of my lumps and bumps to show! The price was right too. On sale they were 14.99 each. The color selection, having waited so long to order, was low.

My love affair with J C 100% cotton is over unless I can have them dry cleaned.

most of the newer fabrics made from synthetics snag easily and do not hold their shape for me.  In my dreams, a synthetic would have a soft cotton-like finish, no pilling and keep their shape after washing... Am I dreaming.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I have a few theories:

First, l think the stores are stuck with a lot of leftover winter clothing b/c the weather was unusually warm in a large part of the country, until February. Also, the economy isn't great. And finally, many people are shopping online.

Re: a lack of all-cotton clothing, l think that's largely a cost factor. Manmade fabrics are cheaper than cotton. So the clothing companies can make a bigger profit on those, especially if they convince us that they're fashionable, and better than cotton.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~