Honored Contributor

Re: So it's fall already ????

@TY wrote:

The retail model is broken, otherwise why are so many retailers in trouble? They are competing with fast fashion, unseasonal weather, and people changing the way they buy clothes.

i haven't worn a lot of summer clothes yet, I have plenty of long sleeve tops still hanging in the closet. The summer clothes in store are on sale. I want to enjoy the season I'm in...the long days of summer! I'm not interested in looking at new fall clothes at all right now.

That's exactly what the article I read was saying.  Modern women don't shop like our grandmothers and mothers shopped.  And the industry has changed drastically since the advent of computers and modern manufacturing methods.  There's no reason for retailers to sell Fall clothes in July and Summer clothes in January.  Also "resort season" doesn't even exist anymore.  Retailers are suffering because we aren't buying what they are selling when they are selling it.  We don't "put things away".   If we buy a dress Friday, we want to wear it Sunday.  Not three months from Sunday.   It will be interesting to see how what happens in 2017 when they article said, we'll see changes.  However, I find that many online retailers are alreay selling fashion in real time.

Respected Contributor

I understand the point being made here, but I've seen many types of warm weather clothing and accessories featured this season -- shorts, capris, crops, skorts, short-sleeved tees, short-sleeved/sleeveless maxis, gauze items, tons of sandals, swimwear, etc. I don't think it's accurate to say that they totally skipped over the summer season.

Trusted Contributor

Well you know -- the days (daylight) start getting shorter around June 21!   Ugh.

Honored Contributor

Actually, the fall/winter fashion shows are long over and those items are being manufactured now to be transported and displayed at the right time.

Trusted Contributor

evine is showing Christmas stuff already. UGH! It's blazing hot and I refuse to think about Christmas in June (or July for that matter).

Honored Contributor

For as long as I can remember, clothing for the upcoming season comes out a couple months prior because it has to be ordered, manufactured, shipped, etc.  

If there's something I know I'll want to purchase for the upcoming season, I keep an eye out for it.    I find if you wait until July or August to purchase summer clothes, the inventory will be all picked over.

Honored Contributor

That's quite frustrating. I was just starting to have fun buying summer clothes and now all I see is long sleeves. What's even more frustrating about it for me is I live in Hawaii and need short sleeves year-round! Maybe a sweater or 2 for our Winter, but that's it.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

All the best sales of summer clothes begins after July 4, from 25% - 75% off. Belk's is my favorite for them. And July 4 gives you plenty of summer left to wear them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It has either been long sleeves/ 3/4 sleeves or sleeveless on the Q this summer, I do not wear sleeveless (my arms are too fat) and the other is too HOT for the summer!  Nothing worth looking at in short sleeves!  I live in the South and I know many others do too, it was 95 today with a heat index of 100, and we have July, Aug., & Sept. to go, we won't see cooler weather to late October if we are lucky!!!

I get so tired of hearing the excuse of long sleeves in summer, the AC is so cold in the movies, restaurants, etc.   ...........  well, I don't go to these places every day, I live a regular life, LOL!

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

All the best sales of summer clothes begins after July 4, from 25% - 75% off. Belk's is my favorite for them. And July 4 gives you plenty of summer left to wear them.

@febe1, I love Belk's too, they always have something on sale!