Honored Contributor

Re: So basically it costs $9.00 to "try" an item

@bdoby 

The tariff only applies to China.  Some clothing manufacturers moved to other countries.  Just read yesterday, Macy's began doing that a few years ago.  I'm sure there are quite a few others.

Shoe manufacturers have been making alternative plans, as well.  

China has been raising their prices over the years causing increased prices you see at QVC and has become less competitive than other countries.  

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA.. it’s interesting that u find “the cost to try” perfectly reasonable..When other sites are free shipping and free returns..I can’t say I’ve heard anyone say they find it reasonable recently.. 🤔
Esteemed Contributor

In Canada, shipping is expensive and I figured out that buying clothes and shoes online was not a good deal for me which is why I stopped buying them online in the spring of 2018, a year ago. I live close enough to a mall and I enjoy shopping and would rather try things on in a bricks and mortar store.

You are right about the "try on fee" for clothes and shoes adding up. I figured that I spent about $150 in shipping costs alone in 2017 just from purchases from The Shopping Channel in Canada and that includes items that I purchased and returned for various reasons including sizing and poor workmanship. I didn't have any free shipping items either.

I got fed up and turned my back on online purchases in 2018 after having to send back 2 clothing items in a row and pay for shipping due to poor fit and poor workmanship. That and poor customer service from TSC (the customer service rep argued with me about what a clearance item and a final clearance item was) was the last straw for me. I closed my account there last spring and have no regrets. And I was a long time customer there, more than 20 years too.

Regular Contributor

It’s not reasonable to spend $10.50 to try something on.

Trusted Contributor

I pictured myself handing the salesperson a $10 bill when going into the fitting room, and that "cured" me of shopping online without free shipping both ways.  Yes, shipping may be included in the price, but for name brand items that can be compared, I don't find the price to be $10 higher than QVC.

Respected Contributor

Thanks Woodie ..🙂
Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@bdoby 

The tariff only applies to China.  Some clothing manufacturers moved to other countries.  Just read yesterday, Macy's began doing that a few years ago.  I'm sure there are quite a few others.

Shoe manufacturers have been making alternative plans, as well.  

China has been raising their prices over the years causing increased prices you see at QVC and has become less competitive than other countries.  

@Foxxee, for now.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Leelee1123 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

If you find that you are returning many items and shipping/return fees are a problem for you....why are you still shopping here?  This issue is 100% withing your power to solve.  QVC doesn't force anyone to shop with them.  

It still amazes me when I see this kind of response.  You just dont get the point of the OP and probably never will. smh.

Thank you! Exactly!  We all know we can shop elsewhere, but I was merely stating that it cost that much money to try on an item. Thanks for getting my point!

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee, for now.

Not sure why that would be.  China is the worst offender.  Their tariffs on U.S. products are up to 25%.  Ours are only 2% on Chinese products coming to the U.S.

Think of all that clothing QVC buys from China has up to a 25% tariff on them already.  Chinese prices have also been rising, they are less competitive than some other countries.

Everyone wants lower prices...how about looking elsewhere.  

Susan Graver has had some of her clothing made in the U.S. priced at $50 - $60.  Why not have some manufactured here?  I believe the quality would go way up too.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@Foxxee, for now.

Not sure why that would be.  China is the worst offender.  Their tariffs on U.S. products are up to 25%.  Ours are only 2% on Chinese products coming to the U.S.

Think of all that clothing QVC buys from China has up to a 25% tariff on them already.  Chinese prices have also been rising, they are less competitive than some other countries.

Everyone wants lower prices...how about looking elsewhere.  

Susan Graver has had some of her clothing made in the U.S. priced at $50 - $60.  Why not have some manufactured here?  I believe the quality would go way up too.

@Foxxee, I'm not going to debate the issue. My reply was a reference to current news. That's all I'll say. Or as my mother used to demand during our rousing debates at dinner, look it up.

BTW, I don't ever recommend combining the pleasures of eating with heated arguments. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland