Honored Contributor

So Sad While Cleaning Out Closets and Putting Away Winter Clothes!

I have recently lost quite a bit of weight. I also spent a good part of the day in the process of changing out closets. Donating clothes that are too big and putting Winter clothes into other closets.

I came upon a lot of clothes that are a size 2X from about 2 or 3 (mostly 3) years ago. Good grief! What a difference between what QVC offers now and what they offered just a few years ago!

Since 2005 I have only bought clothes from QVC and HSN, plus I recognize the "old" labels.

The clothes are beautiful. Nothing like what is offered now. Very little Denim and Co. Many Linea clothes. Really nice Sport Savy leisure clothes. Pretty Joan Rivers jackets. You should see how beautiful some of the Dialogue clothes are! Just beautiful!

I found some beautiful lace blouses (Dialogue). I am not good at describing them; except to say it was so sad to see these beautiful clothes. I wear mostly a size Large now. If I could, I'd even cut them down to wear them.

What in the world happened to QVC (that's where most of these clothes came from)? How did they get to where 3/4 of the stuff they sell is either Denim and Co or Susan Graver?

Anyway, I've been donating them to different churches. There are so many it is crazy. I went kinda bonkers when my husband died. I still have tons of clothes but they are all leisure.

I'd rather not buy them, but I can't get out to stores. I don't work but I always dress nicely when I go out of the house.

I sent someone here some of my Linea clothes. I don't like doing that any more because I know from experience (it's happened here) where I've (paid for it myself) sent large boxes of clothes to people here (they've emailed me and vice-versa) to them and they've sold the clothes and items on ebay.

I can see why young people buy most of their clothes at brick and mortar stores. Denim and Co is mostly leisure clothes.

They don't make (nor does even Susan Graver anymore) make or sell nice dress jackets or real lace blouses, etc.

Honored Contributor

Re: So Sad While Cleaning Out Closets and Putting Away Winter Clothes!

congrats on your weight loss.....you are so correct that the quality has gone downhill....the few garments I have from QVC that I actually wear are from 2-3 years ago.....same quality issue with jewelry also.

Honored Contributor

I hate giving them away. I know that makes me sound stingy, but they are so beautiful. They didn't cost much more (if any) than the stuff they are selling now!

I could show you some beautiful clothes. It doesn't make sense. I know why it's done; it doesn't make it any less sad.

They are making what people buy, I guess. Instead of having more designers, they haul out 'Gary'. Now I'm sure he is a lovely man, but who did he study design under?

How did he become a 'designer' for an entire huge line of clothes like Denim and Co?

I won't even watch the jewelry shows anymore. I watched Colleen on HSN today. I saw a few similar pieces I bought there maybe 4 or 5 years ago.;

Then the recording came on there something about them using enhancements. I guarantee you the jewelry I bought there 4 or 5 (or more) years ago weren't enhanced. I've had jewelers grab my arm and hands and tell me how beautiful my jewelry looks.

It's the old jewelry, not the new stuff (I don't own the new stuff).

Honored Contributor

Congrats to you on your weight loss! What a good job you've done! How hard that is! I hope the people that sold your clothes on ebay had the manners to share the money with you. It's the point, not the money! Hope you have a blessed Easter!

Respected Contributor

I want to congratulate you, too!

I rarely shop at QVC. But I can confirm that quality is dropping in clothing in general. It's discouraging. So much of what is sold is disposable clothing.

This might work for the very young; they might enjoy the variety and not worry about longevity in their clothes. It doesn't work well for me.

I buy more mindfully these days. I look for quality. Sometimes quality can be found at quite reasonable prices. But if it costs more, I'll pay more - and just buy less.

Respected Contributor

Congrats on your weight loss! Fantastic! i LOVED Sports Savvy. I thought it was very popular....never understood why it went away. Anyway, enjoy your new clothing where ever you get them!

Respected Contributor

I agree the quality is nothing like it used to be - I haven't purchased clothing from QVC in years, and probably never will again, unless it's something from Bob Mackie, since his things can't be found elsewhere.

It's great that you're giving things to churches, though. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Goodwill is a scam, and the churches will see that those who really need those things will get them; my own church has a "missionary closet" (actually a large room) where visiting missionaries can "shop" for free, since they get only a small stipend.

Have you considered giving more professional clothing to a women's shelter? The one I've done volunteer work with helps women who are trying to get their lives together to find a new job, and provides nice clothing for interviews. There's also an organization that helps women who are re-entering the work force - I think it's called Dress For Success.

Congrats on your weight loss! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

I have to agree with you, that there were some very nice fashions sold here a few years ago.

My weight hasn't changed (but congrats to you, for your accomplishment), and I still wear, and love, a Chloe Dao blouse and cardigan.

Frequent Contributor

Consignment shops are another option if available in your area. Congratulations on your healthy new body. So sorry to hear of the loss of your husband, no matter how long ago it may have been it is a loss everyday I am sure.
Honored Contributor

annabelle, I absolutely get it! I have 2 beautiful faux suede suits that I think I may have tailored. I'll pay through the nose, but too good to donate. I also have some old Citiknits that never got to see the world because they were so tight, and now they hang like library drapes. I may be overjoyed that the weight is gone- SHUCKS, OF COURSE I'm glad, but there are some negatives too.