Valued Contributor

I recently ordered a pair of D&C black pants but they smell.  I tried asking a question on the webpage for this item but no responses. I thought the administrators would answer but I guess since it's a negative question, no one will answer.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this smell?  I washed them once with no luck and it's beyond the time to return them.....anybody?

Valued Contributor

Re: Smokey smell in black jeans

@Jayjay: A few years ago I bought a D & Co. denim jacket with an strong chemical smell. I thought about returning it, but loved it too much. After several washings and a couple sunny airings on the patio, it finally went away. My vote would be to stick it out.

Trusted Contributor

I had the same problem with a pair of Style and Co jeans from Macy's. I'd go with what @sallybusky recommended.

Trusted Contributor

My daughter has bought black jeans from Kohl's that smell terrible also. The smell can really linger even after vinegar rinses, etc. It has to be the dye they use. Some have been worse than others so your mileage may vary.

Regular Contributor

I recently had the same experience with a Susan Graver zip jacket. It had arrived with a very strong, odd, smoky smell. I filled the washing machine with warm water and added a few generous handfuls of baking soda before adding the cotton jacket. I then left the washing machine top up and just let the jacket soak in the baking soda for a full day. The next day I ran it through the permanent press wash cycle with regular detergent, twice. The smell was 95% better and eventually dissipated.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had a smell with clothing and it can take many washings to get rid of it.  Scary what the chemicals must be doing to you in the interim.  Jeans often seem to have it.

Respected Contributor

it seems to happen with synthetics.  i ordered an INC top from Macys, it was polyester and it stunk like smoky oil. i returned it.

Honored Contributor

I had this happen to me at Kohls a few years ago. I finally returned 2 pairs of black and dark indigo jeans because I couldn't get the smell out after numerous washings. I tried everything to get the smell out.  I don't know how I missed the odor when I tried them on.

Now I smell every pant before I try them on and purchase. Last week I picked up a trouser jean and sniffed it and put it right back on the pile - the odor was enough to make me refuse to take it to the dressing room.  I'm sure people think I am kooky when they see me do this.  I would never buy a dark pant online because I would be afraid it would stink. 

Honored Contributor

I think all this started when manufacturers shifted production to China. That black dye doesn't do well in the hold of a ship for so long. I have given up buying black anything.
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone.....I'll try all the suggestions and see what happens.  

I remember buying a black denim shirt that never got rid of that smell so I hardly wore it.  

I guess I'll have to remember NOT to buy black especially in denim.

Thanks again!