Contributor

Re: Sleeveless dresses on TV news anchors - your opinion?

On 2/18/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 2/18/2014 newshound6 said:
On 2/18/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 2/17/2014 newshound6 said: Rachel Maddow always wears a professional looking suit-I feel like she is a person who would insist on this.I also think sleeveless all the time looks too casual, unprofessional ,and somehow demeaning to the women.I can't help but suspect they are pressured somehow to adopt this look.

They are showing arms. They're not showing cleavage, they're not wearing pageant wear or anything else that might diminish them as professionals and set them up to be objectified. ARMS.

Let's get some perspective. This reminds me of the conversation I had with an Imam. He explained to me that women had to be covered up in order to be viewed as professionals because if anything were showing, men could not focus on what the woman was saying or how competent she was, only on her appearance. Women had to be covered up if they wanted to be taken seriously because you can't expect men to behave.

This thread tells me that apparently we can't expect women to behave, either.

In his view, women were always going to be demeaned unless they were completely covered. In that case, WHO is demeaning the women? It's not the sleeveless woman, it's YOU diminishing the women because she's not dressed the way YOU want her to be and YOU can't focus on her professionalism.

The shame is on you, not the sleeveless woman.

. I see you are purposely misinterpreting this-The newswomen look fabulous of course ,they are not being immodest nor does their appearance have to distract from the news they are giving or anything else:this is about the women having to be good at their jobs and look fabulous doing it -right down to their toned arms-the men don't have to worry about their bodies looking good to be taken seriously. This is so pervasive now that clearly the women are expected to look this great all the time-nothing is done in the entertainment world without a reason.

I was not purposely misinterpreting what you said. You left all this out of your earlier post, which left it open to interpretation. Now that you've clarified, I understand what you're saying and I agree that women have different expectations put on them and men don't have to worry about this as much. Even though Mary Hart wasn't a real news anchor, they did give her a translucent desk and special lighting so that viewers could see her legs. Women haven't come all that far since then.

I'm leaving my response because a lot of women here definitely DO think mean it that way and are constantly bringing this topic up, which is probably why I thought you did, too. I'm sorry I misunderstood.

Sorry I got hissy about it -you see the same problem with this as I do

Super Contributor

They look like clones. Sheath sleeveless dresses that show LOTS of leg when sitting. They must have racks and racks and they just pick color and size.

It's awful watching them when the wind chill is below 0. Get cold just watching!!

Esteemed Contributor

I used to wonder about this very thing and also about why they didn't wear hose on TV news shows when you saw ladies sitting around tables with obvious bare legs, but now I no longer care. Pfffft.

This is now today's appropriate and conservative dress wear and it is what it is. A glimpse of stocking "used" to be something shocking, LOL.

I never wear hose anymore unless it's a formal occasion, like a wedding. I now wear slacks to work each and every day just to avoid this very issue. In the summer I wear thin slacks with heeled sandals (and no hose).

Of course, on my off time, I wear shorts in the summer just like everyone else. It gets hot! If people don't want to look at my bare legs, too bad. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Bare legs and constant sleevelessness have been the norm for so long, that the more conservative style is probably never coming back.

Unless Kate Middleton bring it back for us. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2014 Mayflowers said:

I hate it! I looks crazy to me. No one really dresses like that.

Of course people do. It's a great big world out there - where are you from?

Esteemed Contributor

When I go shopping for dresses, its hard to find anything but sleeveless. Just never a big fan, nothing to do with the people on TV, always thought it made the bum look bigger. The next first lady will probably change the styles again. Everything is a cycle.

Honored Contributor

On 2/20/2014 azterry! said:
On 2/17/2014 namealreadytaken said:

I think it was Miss Toned Arms who wanted to show the masculine side and, of course, the media latched onto it. What's an popular bunch of zealots to do but follow the crowd.

"masculine side"? really?

If the prevailing opinion is that being in shape is masculine, then it is no surprise this country is struggling with obesity.

I think I was always in shape when I was able to work out but I never wanted to look like a man, which some do. Yes, the look is very manly.

Contributor

Personally, I don't care for the look especially when it's been sooooooooooo cold!!!!!! I guess it's really a personal choice.

Super Contributor

Personally, I think it's just too much skin showing to be professional looking. A woman wearing a jacket or a dress with sleeves exudes confidence and also adds a serious tone to her all over appearance. There are a few women anchors who wear way too much makeup, shinny lip gloss and showing too much skin on the air today who look ridiculous while reporting very serious international news.
Honored Contributor

I don't care. I'm listening to the news, not checking out fashion.

The only time I thought national news went to far was when they had Katie Couric sitting on the desk. They never had a man sit there so why would they put a woman there.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/17/2014 insomniac said:

Brrr!

I wonder are they cold.