Honored Contributor

Re: Sleeveless dresses on TV news anchors - your opinion?

More power to the women anchors and their sleeveless attire. Sleeveless dresses are not string bikinis. Are they to wear glasses and tie their hair in a bun to look more intellectual also? Lipstick and gloss draws too much attention to their lips. Bare lips only. It wasn't that long ago when women were not anchors since no one would take the news seriously.

But then I may be biased. I am wearing a sleeveless top at work. I wear sleeveless or short sleeves year round. I used to wear long sleeves and sweaters but cannot tolerate them anymore. Also tired of all the people I encountered asking me if I am cold. I live in NY and the temp outside is in the 20s.

Let's support one another as women.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 Phantom41 said:

I think it looks silly. I realize it's not cold everywhere but it makes me cold looking at them. Most of our local news people (unless they're outside doing a report) are sleeveless. We're in Kansas City in the middle of winter for heaven's sake, cover those arms. I watch ENews and Fashion Police and Guilianna Rancic is the worst offender ever!

If you think she looks silly, you should hear how you sound wanting someone ELSE to wear a sweater so that you don't feel cold.

It's not up to the person on TV to keep you warm by wearing a sweater herself.

Respected Contributor

On 2/18/2014 Marienkaefer2 said:

I agree that it's unprofessional.

We have a female newscaster in our area who dresses very professionally and she looks pretty every night. Her name is Lori.Matsukawa. She always has a nice dress or top on, sometimes some sort of jacket. And she looks great. I have never seen her in sleeveless.

Love Lori! I can't think of any of the newscasters here that wear sleeveless.

Respected Contributor

I don't understand how it could possibly make any difference to anything. When I tune in to any news channel, be it local or national, I'm interested in the news, not how the news anchors are dressed.

Contributor

On 2/18/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 2/17/2014 newshound6 said: Rachel Maddow always wears a professional looking suit-I feel like she is a person who would insist on this.I also think sleeveless all the time looks too casual, unprofessional ,and somehow demeaning to the women.I can't help but suspect they are pressured somehow to adopt this look.

They are showing arms. They're not showing cleavage, they're not wearing pageant wear or anything else that might diminish them as professionals and set them up to be objectified. ARMS.

Let's get some perspective. This reminds me of the conversation I had with an Imam. He explained to me that women had to be covered up in order to be viewed as professionals because if anything were showing, men could not focus on what the woman was saying or how competent she was, only on her appearance. Women had to be covered up if they wanted to be taken seriously because you can't expect men to behave.

This thread tells me that apparently we can't expect women to behave, either.

In his view, women were always going to be demeaned unless they were completely covered. In that case, WHO is demeaning the women? It's not the sleeveless woman, it's YOU diminishing the women because she's not dressed the way YOU want her to be and YOU can't focus on her professionalism.

The shame is on you, not the sleeveless woman.

. I see you are purposely misinterpreting this-The newswomen look fabulous of course ,they are not being immodest nor does their appearance have to distract from the news they are giving or anything else:this is about the women having to be good at their jobs and look fabulous doing it -right down to their toned arms-the men don't have to worry about their bodies looking good to be taken seriously. This is so pervasive now that clearly the women are expected to look this great all the time-nothing is done in the entertainment world without a reason.
Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 newshound6 said:
On 2/18/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 2/17/2014 newshound6 said: Rachel Maddow always wears a professional looking suit-I feel like she is a person who would insist on this.I also think sleeveless all the time looks too casual, unprofessional ,and somehow demeaning to the women.I can't help but suspect they are pressured somehow to adopt this look.

They are showing arms. They're not showing cleavage, they're not wearing pageant wear or anything else that might diminish them as professionals and set them up to be objectified. ARMS.

Let's get some perspective. This reminds me of the conversation I had with an Imam. He explained to me that women had to be covered up in order to be viewed as professionals because if anything were showing, men could not focus on what the woman was saying or how competent she was, only on her appearance. Women had to be covered up if they wanted to be taken seriously because you can't expect men to behave.

This thread tells me that apparently we can't expect women to behave, either.

In his view, women were always going to be demeaned unless they were completely covered. In that case, WHO is demeaning the women? It's not the sleeveless woman, it's YOU diminishing the women because she's not dressed the way YOU want her to be and YOU can't focus on her professionalism.

The shame is on you, not the sleeveless woman.

. I see you are purposely misinterpreting this-The newswomen look fabulous of course ,they are not being immodest nor does their appearance have to distract from the news they are giving or anything else:this is about the women having to be good at their jobs and look fabulous doing it -right down to their toned arms-the men don't have to worry about their bodies looking good to be taken seriously. This is so pervasive now that clearly the women are expected to look this great all the time-nothing is done in the entertainment world without a reason.

I was not purposely misinterpreting what you said. You left all this out of your earlier post, which left it open to interpretation. Now that you've clarified, I understand what you're saying and I agree that women have different expectations put on them and men don't have to worry about this as much. Even though Mary Hart wasn't a real news anchor, they did give her a translucent desk and special lighting so that viewers could see her legs. Women haven't come all that far since then.

I'm leaving my response because a lot of women here definitely DO think mean it that way and are constantly bringing this topic up, which is probably why I thought you did, too. I'm sorry I misunderstood.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 Desertdi said:
On 2/17/2014 ECBG said:

Does anyone remember when sleeveless became so popular? It was on the last really big campaign trail about six years ago, when someone started wearing loads of sleeveless dresses and it caught on like wildfire. Women started wearing sleeveless dresses in droves and suddenly we needed to tone our arms! The fashion and the toneing was well documented in the media in every magazine on the newstand. Women wore them whether they should or not.

These should not.

Really........it's OK, especially if you live in a hot climate.......what are we supposed to do? Suffer?

In your home-who cares? If you're out there are plenty of sheer big shirts. Let's not forget most stores and resturants air condition 40 degrees BELOW normal skin temperature!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Regular Contributor

It's not the sleeveless part-it is they are too tight!

Trusted Contributor

I have seen these threads, a number of times, and, I have no idea, why it bothers some people, so much. I don't watch the news to evaluate the fashion style, of male or female reporters. I'd notice,I'm sure, if either looked sloppy in dress or grooming, but I have no idea how bare upper arms, equals unprofessional. I'm more interested in the anchors professionalism, delivering the news, than bare arms. I've never seen a Woman on the air wearing a sleeveless dress, looking like she was going to Cocktail party. The on-air women that I've seen are wearing very basic rather conservative dresses, perfectly appropriate.
Super Contributor

On 2/17/2014 namealreadytaken said:

I think it was Miss Toned Arms who wanted to show the masculine side and, of course, the media latched onto it. What's an popular bunch of zealots to do but follow the crowd.

"masculine side"? really?

If the prevailing opinion is that being in shape is masculine, then it is no surprise this country is struggling with obesity.