Super Contributor

Re: Sleeveless dresses on TV news anchors - your opinion?

On 2/21/2014 namealreadytaken said:

I think this swing toward man arms is promoted by GLBAT and every time a new athlete comes out of the closet, guess who calls to congratulate and say how proud she is (rolling eyes). I have nothing against homosexuals, and in fact my brother was gaayy, but this country has become obsessed and bent on making everybody homosexual or bisexual. I am happy with who I am and what I am.

If I had only two choices in life to make; one to have a root canal and the other to sit in the same room with someone like you with such deep and encompassing prejudices , I would take the root canal.

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 florey said: They are all starting to look like Stepford wives with the sleeveless, skin tight dresses. Last week when we just had 14 inches of snow there was the weather woman in her sleeveless top telling us it felt like 4 degrees outside.

I couldn't agree more. I think tight, knit and sleeveless dresses are now the "uniform" for most TV stations.

Valued Contributor

It looks like it would be cold to me. I go more for a jacket or shrug or a dress with some sleeves. Just my style and I am surprised they go sleeveless when it is cold out but maybe the lights make them warm.

I wished I looked so good in a sleeveless dress. I do have one that looks really nice on but it is not tight on either. It has some really neat detail and got it last summer. Best one I have ever purchased but I still wear a shrug with it because I just get too cold in air conditioning.

Valued Contributor

I might add these women are more flat chested than I am and I am small everywhere but there. I try not to draw attention to my bust and hard to find something that fits me all over. I did good last year and found two with short sleeves and two that were sleeveless. There were a lot of dresses in the B&M stores last year and had so much fun trying on tons of them and I do mean tons tried on.

They look nice in their dresses but too tight for me and I like something on my arms because I get cold.

Honored Contributor

On 2/21/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 2/21/2014 namealreadytaken said:
On 2/21/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 2/21/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

I've just never understood the uproar over sleeveless dresses.

I haven't understood it either; it's entirely possible to work hard at it, which takes discipline, be feminine and still have toned arms. I do wonder if those who find this so distasteful just aren't comfortable with their own.

It's fine for wear to the beach, the local dive, the cocktail lounges, the spa and the country club for playing golf, tennis, etc., but proud women don't wear sleeveless in semiformal settings, to church and certainly not to social lunches and brunches anymore than real men wear their pants below their cracks to church or to a nice restaurant.

We disagree, that's fine. I just think Nancy Reagan looks spectaular in her 1981 Inaugural Gown:

ITA I think she looks fantastic. And, sleeveless for fancy and elegant evening attire is fine if you are indoors and have a wrap. On air in the middle of the winter, it looks absolutely ridiculous and "desperate" for attention for one's toned arms.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor

Oh I remember this picture from 1981. How time flies! Nancy was one elegant first lady.

Trusted Contributor

If my arms looked that good, I would, too.
Honored Contributor

I am not particularly outraged at the sleeveless dresses but they just look really out of place and odd in the middle of the winter to me. If the men wore no jackets and wore short-sleeve shirts I am sure viewers would think it was strange.

Honored Contributor

I thought of this thread when I saw "the weather woman" giving the forecast for another snow storm and temperatures in the single digits. She was in a short, skin tight, sleeveless dress.

Trusted Contributor

I think that male anchors----regardless of how great their biceps look---should wear suits and ties. The last thing that I would want to see are men who wear tigh and/or short sleeve shirts because it is fashionable or because they want to be part of the current trend.....or because they just want to be noticed because they do have good biceps. Same for female anchors. Dress for your job. There are so many other venues where you can be trendy and show off your assets, whatever those assets may be.