Honored Contributor

Years ago (the 1990s) The Gap had really nice sleeveless turtlenecks ... the ones with the cut-in shoulders.  I guess you could call it a semi-halter neckline.  Then they were gone.

Then, Chico's Travelers had some acetate spandex sleeveless turtlenecks.  Then they were gone

I wear them for layering in the summer when long sleeves are too warm, and I was down to one black and one light blue Travelers  ... and I've been looking and looking.   It was at the point I was going to start cutting up my long sleeve shirts!

Of all places ... Blair has them in a light poly ... just what I'm looking for!  I'm not a fan of Blair ... but I do need the shirts!  Fabric and price  ($14)  were right ... good enough for layering in the summer.

Honored Contributor

I would think a turtleneck would be too hot for summer....even though it's sleeveless.  It just seems like any cloth up around the neck would be uncomfortable.

Honored Contributor

I do remember those, back in the day, when we had to dress for the office and we had to wear a jacket or blazer, even in the summer.  I used to buy my work clothes from Chadwick's.  

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I would think a turtleneck would be too hot for summer....even though it's sleeveless.  It just seems like any cloth up around the neck would be uncomfortable.

@haddon9 

It might be for some people. 

Everywhere is airconditioned and I can't stand to feel a draft on my neck.  If I'm not wearing a turtleneck, I have a scarf wrapped around my neck.  

Valued Contributor

@ALRATIBA I have 3 from Joan Rivers, wear them constantly in the winter, but the fabric is a sweater material and would be too hot in humid Western Pa.

Honored Contributor

Remember the Nicholson/Keaton film:  "Something's Gotta Give" .... Diane and her turtlenecks?  

Jack Nicholson so astutely takes note of Diane’s penchant for t-necks and rudely asks “what’s with the turtlenecks?” In a response for the ages she answers: “I like them. I’ve always liked them and I’m just a turtleneck kind of gal.”

thetneckfiles dot wordpres dot com/2016/11/25/somethings-gotta-give-2003/

---------------------------------

That's me ... a turtleneck kind of gal.

Honored Contributor

It's wonderful when you FINALLY track down something!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I actually remember my first turtleneck purchase.  It was shortly after JFK was elected.  We had a small drygoods store in the area.   

I went in to get some thread for a jumper that I was making ....  there were some men's cotton turtlenecks on the counter .. a pale blue one caught my eye. 

The color of the shirt was perfect for under the jumper ... so I bought it.  And the saga of me and my turtlenecks continues.

Trusted Contributor
I think you will have better luck if you search for sleeveless mock necks (some are higher than others) rather than turtles. I have seen them everywhere -loft, jcpenny, etc.
Honored Contributor

@NJgirl 1205 wrote:
I think you will have better luck if you search for sleeveless mock necks (some are higher than others) rather than turtles. I have seen them everywhere -loft, jcpenny, etc.

@NJgirl 1205 

Lots of mock necks came up while I was searching ... but I only wear "real" turtlenecks.