Honored Contributor

Re: Skinny jeans are the new "mom jeans"?

I think Mom jeans used to be the ones that came up to the waist, well now that's THE style. I can't wear them...no waist...more of a rectangular shape. I'd have to go up a few sizes to accommodate my waist and then proportions off in hips. I stay with skinny or straight leg jeans hitting slightly below the waist. I do wear boyfriend/girlfriend jeans...the loose fit is comfortable for just hanging around. 

In warmer months, I've ditched capris and cropped pants that hit me in an awkard, not flattering part of my leg. I just roll up my jeans one cuff to make them a bit shorter than ankle length. I do have lighter weight ones for summer.

Leggings and jeggings and joggers in public...never.  

I've always dressed much younger than my age and if anyone ever calls me out for it, I just smile. It's difficult finding clothing that fits well, especially jeans and then putting together a "look" when you're petite. Live and let live. 

Honored Contributor

Since I'm the jean w h o r e on these boards, I'll say no.  I wear skinny, cigarette, staright, boyfriend, wide, clean, ripped, flare, but no bootcut.  

I'm wearing a pair of skinny jeans today.  Wore another skinny yesterday and the day before, and the day before that.  

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Well, at the ripe old age of 72, I feel if I wear what "all the kid are wearing" would make me look like I'm trying to be a kid again.  I'm not.  I wear what I like and what looks good on me -- skinny, tapered, and straight-leg jeans look good on my little body.  I don't wear "relaxed" jeans because I don't have a "relaxed" body.  No flares, no baggy, no wide legs for me.  Oh, and no rips, tears, or frayed hems either.

@tototwo 

Love this line!  Thanks for making me smile. Smiley Wink

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus @Agree completely. We should wear what we like and feel good in. I'm a tough fit in jeans, hippy with smaller waist so jeans that fit in the hips gap in the back of the waist. And I'm plus size as well as petite. I get some good results in DG2, Kim Gravel, Laurie Felt, and NYDJ. I have WAY too many pairs of jeans but love what I have. Cannot wear bootcuts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't follow fads or trends or care what designers say.....instead I chose what looks best on me and my body shape.......  I'm petite ...

And I must say sometimes the latest styles look a tad ridiculous.....Especially when I see the "youngins" having to pull up their pants as they walk up stairs or conduct other normal activities....And tell them to just wait....everything old will someday be new again in fashion trends....just ask those that wore bell bottoms in their young years....there's really nothing new under the sun as the phrase goes...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

While I wear jeans of all kinds I don't like baggy legs and prefer a tapered look, and to be perfectly blunt, I wear what I want when I want and don't give a rat's backside how people I couldn't care less about choose to peg me... 

@stevieb 

download (2).jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Thats Me wrote:

@Shanus @Agree completely. We should wear what we like and feel good in. I'm a tough fit in jeans, hippy with smaller waist so jeans that fit in the hips gap in the back of the waist. And I'm plus size as well as petite. I get some good results in DG2, Kim Gravel, Laurie Felt, and NYDJ. I have WAY too many pairs of jeans but love what I have. Cannot wear bootcuts.

@Thats Me   Most (85%) of my jeans are NYDJ. They fit me the best. I also have Laurie Felt boyfriend jeans. IMO, you can't have too many pair...I'm in jeans most days, have several styles and washes. I also don't have bootcut. Looks off balance on me. 

Super Contributor

I have them all and wear them all. Wearing the right type of top and shoes for each style is important . I do look best based on my height and shape  in a straight or flare jean I am 65 .

Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Since I'm the jean w h o r e on these boards, I'll say no.  I wear skinny, cigarette, staright, boyfriend, wide, clean, ripped, flare, but no bootcut.  

I'm wearing a pair of skinny jeans today.  Wore another skinny yesterday and the day before, and the day before that.  

I'm a jean whore too.  At work, shopping, going out, etc. I'm wearing jeans.  

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus forgot to mention I like skinny cuts, straight cuts if they're not too wide at the bottom because then they tend to be too long. NYDJ's "skinny ankle" work really well for me and are among my favorites!