Respected Contributor

Re: Sizing of Bras --- How do you get a good fit?

I would say by trying lots of them on! In my experience, sizing is all over the place, and just because I get a good fit in one style or brand in a particular size doesn't mean that size works across the board. 

Trusted Contributor

Interesting topic this holiday week-end!  For most of my younger adult life I wore the same  bra in the same size!  Then one day when I was in my 50's that bra just was not doing the job any longer!  My body was changing and nothing was in the same place anymore!   I started a search in the B&M stores trying on about 10 bras in each place!  I found I had gone up one size in band and cup even though my weight was about 10 lbs. less than my younger days!  I discovered l Breezies bra that was good for every day wear but now they no longer make it!Woman Frustrated  I have found a fair replacement but I am still always searching!!  I blame gravity!!!Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

I like Wacoal as they fit me the best.  The downside is they are too pricey for the quality.  

I wear a larger size in a Wacoal than in any other brand. 

Respected Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

I gave all that up years ago, when I bought my first Genie bra.  Since then, I've purchased similar styles in other brands.  Comfy, sized in S-M-L-XL, and adjust to your shape. 

Love them.  Not sure what I will do when they stop making this style - which, alas, they probably will.

Buy them while they have them!  My favorite bra from Warners was discontinued and I haven't found a bra as comfortable since

then😢

Esteemed Contributor

I think a good bra fit starts with a quailty professional fitting, but that's only step one.  As others point out not all brands fit the same.  Like the clothing industry, bra manufacturing is not standardized to the degree that you will get the same fit in your measured size in every brand.  

I am pretty much down to two brands of bras in my wardrobe. Personally, I get a consistent fit in Wacoal and it's sister brand B.Tempt'd.  Please note, B.Tempt'd does have a smaller cup cut than regular Wacoal, so ladies in the D and up cup range may not find this to be true (for them).  I also get a good fit with Bali, and wish they would make more styles in size 32 band.  That said, I like their Smart Size Comfort Revolution bras because the sizes are generic XS, S, M, L instead of 32, 34 36 ABC etc.  These not the bras one would choose for playing tennis, but they provide plenty of shape and support for everyday life.  Many styles are wirefree too.  

By the way, for those who like Ahh Bra, Bali's Smartsize Wirefree are equally comfortable with better shaping and lift.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The specialty store I used to go to closed (the owner retired) so now I go to Nordstrom and get sized every time I buy a new bra.

The measuring is just a way for them to have a starting point for a good fit.  Every brand and every style within a brand is going to fit differently based on the amount of material, the engineering/boning and the amount of stretch.

A store that has a lot of brands and a wide range of sizes is less likely to try to talk you into a bra size that isn't right just to make a sale.

I went to Victoria's Secret once and they sized me.  They tried to tell me that if I went up a band size, it would be the same as going up a cup size.

I went to Soma and while they do measure properly, they do not have a wide variety in my size (32H in European sizing).  

Nordstrom can order me the size and color I want if it's a bra where I like the style and fit.

My bra of choice is the Chantelle Rive Gauche Underwire (which will be in the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale in case anyone is interested).  This is when I buy my new bras.  I have almost every color now.

The thing I love about this bra is the stretch in the cup.  It makes this bra super comfortable.  I knew this was the bra for me when I flew across country and I didn't want to rip this thing off when I arrived.

It's expensive, but worth every penny.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

You have to find a specialty shop. Even if it means driving for a couple hours, it's worth it. Women who work there having the training to know what their customers need.

I'm lucky because there is a specialty shop a couple miles away. I finally gave in to the need to have this sales help, and the difference is remarkable!

@insomniac2

I have no shops like this any where around me.  I can't drive a couple of hours.  I know it would be good to do this, but it just isn't feasible for me.  I think you for this suggestion and I am sure this would be the best thing to get an accurate reading!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

That's the million-dollar question. I've been to several shops to get fitted. One store says I wear this size and the other store says I wear that size. It depends on the brand. In any case, your best bet is to get professionally fitted. That way you'll know what to look for as far as the fit is concerned. Once you find the bra that fits, it's like AHHHH.Woman Very Happy

@SilleeMee

Do stores have fittings occasionally?  I might ask some of the local stores if they do that. I have had the problem where I found a bra that was pretty nice only to have them stop making that certain style!!!  

Honored Contributor

@sim2222 wrote:

I went to Macys and they did a fitting for me and now I know I am wearing the correct size.  They will try to sell you a bra from their store but that is the only downsize to findingout the correct size you wear.  I think it was worth it.

@sim2222

I do have a Macy's really close so I could go there.  Are they actually trained to do this?  Thanks!  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

You think you got problems - I had a lumpectomy so I wear a D cup on the Left and a B cup on the right. I split the difference and buy a C cup. Since menopause I can't stand to wear the appliance that makes them even - much too hot.It just makes me sweat.  My insurance will pay for surgery to correct the size but I am afraid that could cause problems into the future. I am BRAC 2 + so I can't take any chances a new mass not being seen.

@151949

I am sorry -- that has to be really difficult!!!  And I don't think I could handle wearing the insert either.  I wouldn't attempt to have the surgery either, as I would be worried about creating more problems.