Honored Contributor

Re: Sizing of Bras --- How do you get a good fit?

Every bra I've bought in the last 6 or 7 years has come either from Dillards or from my favorite local bra shop, and the only reason I buy Dillards is for bras I wear around home.

For me it's not only the size that matters, it's the bra itself.  A huge majority of what some fitters tell me is my size are totally not my size -  they're just all they have to offer, so that's what they say! 

Even at the bra shop where I buy a Prima Donna 36G, only one style in that size really works well for me.  I'd buy it all the time, but at approximately $150/per, I just don't.  I supplement with a bra from Dillards which is better for me than anything I've founbd elsewhere   --and that includes Wacoal fitted by one of their traveling fitters, who if she'd been honest would have told me to save my money!  Just not good for me.

I, too, would drive a long way to find a good bra shop because I'm so hard to fit and the engineering I need is so hard to find.

Honored Contributor

I was surprised that I found and bought a bra from Amazon -- using their reviews!

The style I prefer has a front closure; thin padding; straps do not slide off the shoulder.

The cup size is way huger than the band size (which every review stated) ... so I went up two band sizes and down 1 cup size. Perfect fit!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I gave all that up years ago, when I bought my first Genie bra.  Since then, I've purchased similar styles in other brands.  Comfy, sized in S-M-L-XL, and adjust to your shape. 

Love them.  Not sure what I will do when they stop making this style - which, alas, they probably will.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee,

Genie bras are very comfy! I own a few and wear them to sleep in or when I have a medical procedure done. They don't, however, give me enough support to wear during my normal day of activities. I've tried pairing a couple of them together for more support but that still wasn't enough. The girls are just too heavy! LOL!Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I once spent a afternoon going to 3 different dept..stores and being fitted for bras at all 3.  I went to Nordstrom, Macy's and Lord & Taylor and each store gave me a different measurement.  It was a joke.  I finally tried a wacoal awareness bra and now I am a happy camper.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Head to Nordstrom for a bra fitting.  Your size in one style bra may not be your size in another bra.  I usually wear Chantelle bras.  I also occasionally will buy Wacoal.  I wear different sizes in those.  

Trusted Contributor

Nordstrom's is an excellent place for mastectomy bra help,  w8th an RX from Dr, they will fit you,help find the bras,and file your ins and Medicare papers.  You are able to receive X  amount of bras from Medicare.  It has been a long while, so call them and they will walk you through.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't know about any of you ladies, but I just don't feel like my bras are fitting me right these days!

One feels too tight in one area, too loose in another.  One does nothing for me or for how it makes my tops look.

One pinches or rides up in areas, etc., etc.,etc.

How do you go about finding a bra that fits well, is comfortable, looks good, is at a decent price point -- well, does everything you need and want?

I don't even know if I am wearing the right size?  

@AngelPuppy1

Oh boy, I feel your pain!    

I've been to Nordstroms and had the worst experience with a fitter.   I'm still sorry I didn't take the time to report her.

You'll most likely have a different size with different brands .... and possibly a different size in different styles within a single brand.

If you google "bra size calculator" and enter your measurements, they will not all give you the same size!

Nevertheless, you need to get fitted if you're not getting a comfortable and flattering end result.

Personally, I finally did that and found a good bra .... and then bought subsequent additional bras on Ebay at a discount.  HTH

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I love Cacique bras from lane Bryant. They were on sale last week buy one get the second half off so I bouight 6 because i wear a clean fresh bra every day, so I wear a minimum of 7 a week.I also like Playtex with the padded straps.

Cacique is the only bra that fits me.  I usually hit their sales twice a year and stock up.  I never wear the same bra two days in a row so I need enough to get me through the week.  I wash them in my machine on the handwash delicate cycle, no fabric softener and hang them to dry.  They last longer that way.

The best way to find your size is go to a department or speciality store and try on different brands, styles and sizes until you have the ah ha moment.  That's the only way it works for me.

Honored Contributor

@sim2222 wrote:

I went to Macys and they did a fitting for me and now I know I am wearing the correct size.  They will try to sell you a bra from their store but that is the only downsize to finding out the correct size you wear.  I think it was worth it.

@sim2222

Uh .....   Isn't that the point?  

If you're wearing the wrong size bra and are uncomfortable, aren't you there to get a bra that actually fits you?