Valued Contributor

Re: Should people over 50 wear jeans?

This is one of the most ridiculous questions that I’ve seen ask!!! Of course women can and should wear jeans after 50!! It’s nonsense to think otherwise.

Regular Contributor

If all the people over 50 stopped wearing jeans the companies would go broke. 

Honored Contributor

Another over 50 woman here who wears jeans. I wear straight leg, slim leg, and a slight bootcut. I also wear trouser jeans. I love my jeans and wear them even more since I am not currently working. 

I have noticed many of the jeans on young people today are super skin tight - look painted on. These are not jeggings, but just really tight jeans. Those look very uncomfortable to me. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

I can't believe this is a topic.  What do they think people over 50 should just give up and die?  What a ridiculous question to ask. 

@Pecky, your comment reminded me of a customer I once had. 

I worked in a major department store for many years. I remember once helping a woman in the senior years who was having a very frustrating time finding something that worked for her. Pretty much everything the store offered at that time was geared toward the younger customer...sleeveless tops, cropped tops, tops with thin, sheer material, etc. 

She was so frustrated, she said to me (her words) "What do they expect us old ladies to wear? Are we just supposed to crawl off in a corner and die? I may be old, but I don't want to look like an old lady. However, I also don't want to look like my granddaughter."  

Sadly, this was a common complaint I heard. A little while after that, I was part of a focus group that met with the buying team. When he asked about customer feedback on what the store offered, I voiced that customer's issue. His answer was that the buying team was now focusing on Generation X and Millinnials because that was where the future of the store profits were and that was who they needed to develop a retail relationship with. He actually said, speaking of my customer,  "Quite honestly, that generation of customers doesn't matter anymore." 

I was just stunned. 😦

Honored Contributor

"Should" they?   People should wear whatever they want to that feels comfortable on them and that they like for themselves.  Esp. over 50 - life is short; wear what you like and what makes you comfortable.    I'm in my mid-60s and wouldn't even think of giving up wearing jeans.   Sheesh.

Honored Contributor

Just a guess here but I'm going to say that the radio host was a man and the question was geared specifically towards women?

Honored Contributor

Ha ha ha   That's very funny.  When did 50 become old?  People of any age can jeans and do wear jeans and they can wear them as tight and flashy as they choose.   

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I remember the year the big news was "Denim is out."  Hasn't happened yet, never will....

Like the "skinny jeans are out" fashion stories.  We read that every year and it's never true.

Honored Contributor

Image result for pictures of women over 60 in their jeans

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Who makes these arbitrary rules? Many women who are over 50 (or 60, or 70) look as good in jeans as much younger women. It's all about finding the right cut and fit for your body type. The same goes for men, IMO.

@handygal2

I  don't know who starts this silliness but other women perpetuate the myth! You've got your Susan Gravers telling everyone to ' cover up' and Diane Gilman convincing us we need specially engineered jeans! I'm an average 57 year old woman and I've had no trouble purchasing, probably more jeans than I needed, in the past year! LOL none of which were jeans for a special age group!