Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shorts with Heavy Jackets

Career of over 30 years working on college / university campuses and I've seen a lot regarding casual fashion. Heavy coats and shorts are my sincere favorite. It means students have been to the gym, rolled out of bed to get to class on time or just want to be comfy. Hubs retired in January 2020. I'm seeing a lot of longer shorts with coat from him, central Midwest. Also warm vests with long sleeves. He said he's ready when the sun comes out and temps are 50 degrees and above. If not, the car heater keeps his legs warm while he darts in and out of places. Then he's comfy once he gets home. Don't know why - but I love it.  And this from a guy who was handsome in a suit and tie for 44 years in the corporate world. He's loving his casual life. Makes me smile.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@tototwo 

I agree.  Winter on top and summer on the bottom is visually "out of balance".

What I hate to see is young children lightly dressed in the cold.

Honored Contributor

In terms of fashion meets functiion there are some things that defy common sense (to me)

Elbow sleeved puffer jackets

open toed boots

cold shoulder sweaters.....

Honored Contributor

My son, now deceased, just loved to wear shorts all year long.  He worked at a job where there was less pay just because shorts were acceptable.  I didn't understand it either and it does get cold here.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

tototwo - I also don't understand it at all.

When I was in college, there was a guy, I don't think he ever wore a pair of long pants. I went to school in New York so the temperature could easily be in the single digits some days. But there was Hans in his shorts.

Of course we commented to him in the beginning. But after awhile we just expected to see Hans in shorts. 

So now whenever I see someone wearing shorts in winter, I think of Hans. And it was many years ago that I went to school. But I will always remember Hans. 

@drizzellla   Was Hans wearing Lederhosen?  Woman Wink

Smiley Very Happy No - just shorts. But I must admit he was one healthy looking guy - about 6'3" and sturdyly built. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I have to go out, I make it quick and rarely notice what anyone's wearing but I wouldn't develop a pet peeve about it since it does not affect me directly.  I'm not sure why that would make a blip on someone's radar plus what good is telling us anyway? 
I wear shorts with vegan Ugg's and a flannel top. Love it. 

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline 

Mine were black and I wore them with an oversized tweed jacket, it was 1990 after all

@CatsyCline wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

Back in the early 90's dress shorts were in fashion for women, I wore them with panti hose. I was wearing a pair the night I met my other half

@I am still oxox   i wore those!  mine were wool bw with red accent houndstooth and i wore them with black tights and a black sweater.  i wore red Enzo flats!   remember them?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

It's that time of year.... time for me to again voice my pet peeve about men (and some women) wearing shorts and sandals on the bottom half, but puffer or other heavy jackets on the top.    What is wrong with this picture?!?!?

If it's so cold that they need a heavy jacket, why do they have their bare legs and feet hanging out?   Doesn't make sense to me.   

People on a way to a workout, or rushing, may not want to bother to change pants.  

Sandals are good for a pedicure or warm feet.

To each their own.

Honored Contributor

It depends on the individual, we don't all feel cold in the same way.  

Regular Contributor

I live in Indiana and have a friend who dresses that way from time to time.  She says that it is comfortable for her and is not a fashion statement.  She needs the warmth up top, but not on the bottom.