Honored Contributor

Shortening DB's Pants! (and removing pockets)

I bought these pants a couple of weeks ago.  Knowing they were 2" too long and had pockets that had to be removed.

A349312

Dennis Basso Printed Luxe Crepe Wide-Leg Pull-O - A349312

I removed the pockets myself (a so-so looking fix) and took them up the block to the tailor at the dry cleaner to have them hemmed.  They were 2" too long, and already had an 1.5" hem - and with the fabric I figured it was a job for a professional.

I just picked up the pants - and the tailor redid my pocket removal .... and didn't charge me!  Only charged for the hem.  I gave her a BIG tip!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shortening DB's Pants! (and removing pockets)

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I bought these pants a couple of weeks ago.  Knowing they were 2" too long and had pockets that had to be removed.

A349312

Dennis Basso Printed Luxe Crepe Wide-Leg Pull-O - A349312

I removed the pockets myself (a so-so looking fix) and took them up the block to the tailor at the dry cleaner to have them hemmed.  They were 2" too long, and already had an 1.5" hem - and with the fabric I figured it was a job for a professional.

I just picked up the pants - and the tailor redid my pocket removal .... and didn't charge me!  Only charged for the hem.  I gave her a BIG tip!

Nice bold pants!  You are blessed to find an open tailor and dry cleaner.  The ones I used in my neighborhood closed during the pandemic and it appears permanent.  But I was glad to see my local greek diner open, the manager reassuring me the same menu, and they had only closed due to a broken pipe.  But alas, she is asian, not greek like before, so I suspect they had bigger issues than the pipe.  She assured me same menu, same staff, and I'll be happy to be ordering food from them again.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

Aren't we lucky with our wonderful tailors?!

I don't believe you saw it but a couple of months ago I had a similar thread where my tail -or surprised me doing something for nothing but I had asked. It was a simple task but I certainly expected to pay for it! Not only did she do it she did it right on the spot while I was picking up another piece I had had hemmed.
I too reciprocated her generosity with a big tip...

Esteemed Contributor

@Andreatoo 

@ALRATIBA 

You are both lucky to have someone that is skilled in alterations.

I sew, but HATE altering anything and have not done so in years.

Since my way of dressing has changed (retired now), it's not that important.  But, when I wore suits, etc., I'd have loved to have somone to help with better fit.