Honored Contributor

Shortened LOGO Top and Lisa Rinna pants

I have two LOGO tops from easily 6/7 years ago that were a bit too big and too long.*  

I was going to donate them, but loved the colors.  I don't want to spend the money for someone to shorten them and don't feel like hemming them myself .... so .... I decded to use the pinking shears** and just cut off a few inches and leave a zig-zag edge.

I took five inches off the first one ... and I'm wearing it over a big longer tank top.  The other one - I think I'll just cut off 4".  Fraying doesn't appear to be an issue .... yet!

It doesn't look too big now that it's shorter. 

I also shortened Liza Rinna's pants with the pinking shears and I like them much better.  There is no longer the "weight" of the hem and they hang really well now. 

I plan on doing the same "operation" on all my Bob Mackie and SG wide leg pants.   The weight of the hem was bothering me because of the way they moved when I walked. 

-------------------------------------------------

*..  (I gained some weight when I retired, and then lost it so some clothes are just a bit too big.)

** ... Got them at Amazon.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Shortened LOGO Top and Lisa Rinna pants

Pinking shears will limit the fraying but won’t eliminate it. Please wash the garments before you do any more. 

Honored Contributor

@K9buddy wrote:

Pinking shears will limit the fraying but won’t eliminate it. Please wash the garments before you do any more. 

@K9buddy 

Thanks for that!  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

The embellished hem lines are in style now so why not right?!

Honored Contributor

I hope you realize that cutting fabric with pinking shears will not keep the fabric from fraying.  When the item is laundered it most likely with unravel a lot depending on the type of frabic it is.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I hope you realize that cutting fabric with pinking shears will not keep the fabric from fraying.  When the item is laundered it most likely with unravel a lot depending on the type of frabic it is.

@Imaoldhippie 

Yes, I'm well aware of that.  I've sewn my own clothes since I was a teenager in the 1950s.

Actually, the goal is fraying.  The clothes are really useless unless shortened, and if / when they fray - if they look okay - I'm winning.  If they don't look okay - no loss since I was going to dispose of them anyway. 

------

ETA:  Other than the LOGO tops - all the other items are poly microfiber knits ... just not sure if they can fray.  The logo top is a cotton/span knit ... not woven.  Knits fray differently than wovens.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ALRATIBA 

@Andreatoo 

Fraying is the goal.

Valued Contributor

@ALRATIBA  - Run a line of stitching about half an inch to a full inch above your new hem.  The fraying will stop at the stitching line.  

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

@ALRATIBA  - Run a line of stitching about half an inch to a full inch above your new hem.  The fraying will stop at the stitching line.  

@DrakesMomma 

They aren't woven fabrics.  They are knits.   I'm not sure that they will fray, and if so - how they will fray.  What do I know - they won't fray like woven fabrics do.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Andreatoo wrote:

@ALRATIBA 

@Andreatoo 

Fraying is the goal.

@ALRATIBA 

And so is fraying! You're right it is a win-win. Maybe take a wire brush to the edges to speed up the fraying?