Honored Contributor

Re: Short, short, tops and sweaters - I guess this is what's in now?

@ScrapHappy 

We all had our time when we were young to wear some of these things and your daughter is happily wearing some of these things now and sounds like she is wearing them in a very nice way! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I won't fault anyone for wearing what they want and what makes them happy.  I love pretty things -- what woman doesn't?  I think we all want to have something new once in awhile.  It gives us a little lift!  I admit and have admitted, that I do at times have fashion envy!  I see new things that I think are so cute and darling and I would have worn back in the day --- but I realize that these things are no longer appropriate for me.  I do admire the styles on the younger ones!  I think of it this way --- I had my time to wear them and now it's theirs!  I am appreciative though if and when I get to shop and there are types of clothing that seem somewhat current and I am able to wear them with confidence and comfort, knowing that I look good and age and body appropriate!  

Honored Contributor

Thank you, everyone for your comments and opinions about this topic!  Happy shopping and hope you find just what you are looking for on your next shopping excursion!!  

Regular Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Yes, I think what we wear is old lady clothing to the 20-somethings.  But a lot of the 30 and 40  year olds now think they are young. . . 

My mother was wild about fashion.  She wanted me to dress more flashy than I did when I was in high school. 

Then I "dressed for success."  I wanted so badly to grow up and have a neat job and get somewhere in the work world--so that's how I presented myself.  

At home I was on a horse or tractor, feeding animals, driving trucks and such and loved it, but didn't plan on that as a career.  So I set my sights and wardrobe on that.

I am very particular about how I look and dress, but just doesn't really excite me and I do not like shopping.  And am thrilled that I don't have to wear a suit and hose now!

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1   I live in a small college town and am bombarded by young girls dressed in, what looks like, gym clothing. They make very little effort to dress appropriately for going out to restaurants, stores, etc. 

There IS this vast movement for younger and middle age women to be thin, fit and wear smaller sizes and purchase the same clothing as their daughters...."youth envy"! Some women in their 50's, for example, can pull off tight leggings w/ a shorter top, but others I see out and about look ridiculous...definitely not fit and trim, but squeezing into tight leggings and shorter cropped tops with a tight workout jacket over it. They certainly, at that weight and age, have never seen the inside of a gym. 

Personally, being petite and thin, I could dress like I'm 25, but wouldn't want to...not appropriate. I order from Bloomingdales, Neiman's, Saks to find more age appropriate clothing...yes, sometimes more than I want to pay, but that's my only options. 

Good Grief!! 🙄

I believe that genre is referred to as Judgy Fiction.

Honored Contributor

'All I know' is that I'm glad that many people have good self esteem.  

Feeling free and comfortable to wear whatever one wants is wonderfully positive.

Often better than having to stress over 'this and that' matching fashion outfit and/or body image.

Years ago I knew a few young women (in college) who were taking their moms' water pills in order to have the 'perfect' body and fashion look.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  Time to find and take out my shorter sweaters.

Since my self esteem isn't very great, (I wish it was), I'll wear short sweaters over longer tank tops.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@SoonerLater 

I hear ya!  Most of my life was spent in an office setting, so I had to follow protocol in my dress!  In reality, I loved a boho, gypsy, very organic, free flowing style!  

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY 

How sad that anyone ever has to feel that way.  

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY 

That's a good idea!