Honored Contributor

Re: Short, short, tops and sweaters - I guess this is what's in now?

@decaf 

Sure.  I did all of that back in the day.  Those days are long gone! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Carmie 

I understand what you're saying.  I like normal length sweaters and tops --- well, what I call normal length.  Not those real long things that make you look all chopped off or the things I am talking about that seem to stop at your rib cage!  These sweaters look like someone took a wool sweater and washed and dried it in a hot dryer!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@decaf 

Sure.  I did all of that back in the day.  Those days are long gone! 

@AngelPuppy1  As long as you had fun, that's all that matters.  I know I did!!Woman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I have a 16 year old daughter.  When shopping for her, those crop tops in all styles are definitely in.  My daughter wears them but not too short and revealing.  I thought it was just a summer style but it has carried into the colder months.  I haven't seen, or should I say noticed, at other stores than where my daughter shops which is down to one by the way in our mall.  All the other stores she shopped at have closed.  

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Shanus   So true.  I think the target for the younger crowd is fast fashion, cheaply made, trendy, expendable.  Younger bodies can get away with wearing clothes that do not emphasis quality.  The money we might spend at a Sundance or a Soft Surroundings....you are expecting a better quality garment = more money.  Yes, we can expect to pay more for our clothes than most 20 year old young women. And, I agree, just because we are ...ahhem....older doesn't mean we need to spend many times the amount of younger women.  Would be great to find a store that is affordable, appropriate, good quality and moderately priced.  The best I can do is purchase at recognized fairly good quality stores, but watch for the sales.  

@Shanus wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

w

@phoenixbrd   I agree, but it seems that clothing, in general, now appeals to the younger crowd. It's difficult to find clothing at our age unless you go to the more expensive stores/sites. I suppose they think we have more money to spend....NOT.

@phoenixbrd   You're correct. I also purchase much less clothing than I did maybe 10 years ago. I'd rather have three really good sweaters than the six I may have purchased before. There's nothing wrong with repeating clothing and I don't go that many places with friends that they may notice "repeat wearings" and who cares if they do. 

I also don't purchase very outstanding prints, colors or detailed clothing that are recognizable for that reason. I tend to stay with basics and neutrals that I can wear many times and not get tired of wearing. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   I live in a small college town and am bombarded by young girls dressed in, what looks like, gym clothing. They make very little effort to dress appropriately for going out to restaurants, stores, etc. 

There IS this vast movement for younger and middle age women to be thin, fit and wear smaller sizes and purchase the same clothing as their daughters...."youth envy"! Some women in their 50's, for example, can pull off tight leggings w/ a shorter top, but others I see out and about look ridiculous...definitely not fit and trim, but squeezing into tight leggings and shorter cropped tops with a tight workout jacket over it. They certainly, at that weight and age, have never seen the inside of a gym. 

Personally, being petite and thin, I could dress like I'm 25, but wouldn't want to...not appropriate. I order from Bloomingdales, Neiman's, Saks to find more age appropriate clothing...yes, sometimes more than I want to pay, but that's my only options. 

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

LOOK at the WIDTH of the sleeves on those "short" tops.    If they are very NARROW.......that is a Junior-Size item. 

The stores seem to be flooded with them......maybe that's all that came off the cargo ships.....

@Desertdi   ITA, but at some point that's what the buyers ordered. I also don't like the balloon sleeves I'm seeing on a lot of tops, sweaters, etc. They're not flattering on me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Janey2 wrote:

Another store to look at is Chico's. If you do not have one near you they have a website. Every few weeks they get in new clothes so they have a good selection.

@Janey2   No offense intended, I'd never shop at Chico's. Their styles and prints are immediately recognizable and next year or the the year afterwards, they look "old". 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1   I live in a small college town and am bombarded by young girls dressed in, what looks like, gym clothing. They make very little effort to dress appropriately for going out to restaurants, stores, etc. 

There IS this vast movement for younger and middle age women to be thin, fit and wear smaller sizes and purchase the same clothing as their daughters...."youth envy"! Some women in their 50's, for example, can pull off tight leggings w/ a shorter top, but others I see out and about look ridiculous...definitely not fit and trim, but squeezing into tight leggings and shorter cropped tops with a tight workout jacket over it. They certainly, at that weight and age, have never seen the inside of a gym. 

Personally, being petite and thin, I could dress like I'm 25, but wouldn't want to...not appropriate. I order from Bloomingdales, Neiman's, Saks to find more age appropriate clothing...yes, sometimes more than I want to pay, but that's my only options. 

Good Grief!! 🙄

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Janey2 wrote:

Another store to look at is Chico's. If you do not have one near you they have a website. Every few weeks they get in new clothes so they have a good selection.

@Janey2   No offense intended, I'd never shop at Chico's. Their styles and prints are immediately recognizable and next year or the the year afterwards, they look "old". 

Hmmm...looking down at a favorite Chico's top I have on for an appointment...do I change or ignore this comment.  After all, @Shanus, means no offense.

Ignore wins out 😊

@Janey2