Respected Contributor

Re: Short, short, tops and sweaters - I guess this is what's in now?

Another store to look at is Chico's. If you do not have one near you they have a website. Every few weeks they get in new clothes so they have a good selection.

Honored Contributor

I certainly don't shop the big box stores. I live rural and shop the boutiques in small tourist towns nearby. I have no problem finding things to wear. I'm 67 and always have an array of beautiful clothing shops to choose from. Shop local ladies. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Short tops are all in stores.  You don't find very much of them at QVC.  Tops at QVC average 26" plus.  In stores you'll see them fro 21" on and rarely past 26".  You won't see many tunics either.  That's QVC territory.  The closest to mall stores in tops at QVC is of course Candace Bure.  Obviously a younger person will be more apt in wearing a shorter top, sweater, etc.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

Short tops are all in stores.  You don't find very much of them at QVC.  Tops at QVC average 26" plus.  In stores you'll see them fro 21" on and rarely past 26".  You won't see many tunics either.  That's QVC territory.  The closest to mall stores in tops at QVC is of course Candace Bure.  Obviously a younger person will be more apt in wearing a shorter top, sweater, etc.  

Sorry but the length of a top has nothing to do with age and everything to do with your torso length. I see tunics all the time in high end stores too. At 5'8 and slender, a short top always made me look like it had shrunk in the laundry.😩

Honored Contributor

I only shop online ....  Chico's (aleady mentioned), Coldwater Creek, Soft Surroundings, LandsEnd, Peruvian Connection, Sundance .... are good places to check.

Trusted Contributor

Fashion trends are made for and followed by younger women.  Short tops and sweaters are very in for juniors right now.   Just like the bare midriff tops worn with bell bottoms in the late 1960s and early 1970s. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Sorry but the length of a top has nothing to do with age and everything to do with your torso length. I see tunics all the time in high end stores too. At 5'8 and slender, a short top always made me look like it had shrunk in the laundry.😩

My body is in proportion.  I'm 5'4" and tops on QVC are much too long for my height.  I also prefer shorter tops.  That's one reason I don't buy tops from QVC.  I've posted (and complained) about this before.  I do buy Bure's tops which I find much shorter and more to my liking.  Some of QVC tunics are like dresses on me.  

Honored Contributor

I am only 5'1".  I don't wear tunics or longer tops. No leggings, jeggings or super thin jeans or pants either 

I love the shorter tops.  They look balanced on me. I prefer 3/4 length sleeves too.

Longer tops look like maternity wear on me.  But, today, pregnant women wear super tight belly button showing tops and non pregnant women wear loose long tops.  Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   So true.  I think the target for the younger crowd is fast fashion, cheaply made, trendy, expendable.  Younger bodies can get away with wearing clothes that do not emphasis quality.  The money we might spend at a Sundance or a Soft Surroundings....you are expecting a better quality garment = more money.  Yes, we can expect to pay more for our clothes than most 20 year old young women. And, I agree, just because we are ...ahhem....older doesn't mean we need to spend many times the amount of younger women.  Would be great to find a store that is affordable, appropriate, good quality and moderately priced.  The best I can do is purchase at recognized fairly good quality stores, but watch for the sales.  

@Shanus wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

w

@phoenixbrd   I agree, but it seems that clothing, in general, now appeals to the younger crowd. It's difficult to find clothing at our age unless you go to the more expensive stores/sites. I suppose they think we have more money to spend....NOT.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd 

This is a really nice mall which has all kinds of shops, and while there are shops that you know and recognize the names for teens, they also have quite a few stores which are for everyone.  Stores which previously sold clothing which I believe all ages could wear, now sell primarily these types of tops, etc.  It's just cyclical I guess.  During some periods of time I have really liked and embraced the clothing styles and other times not. This is one of the "not" times! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin