Respected Contributor

My employer recently changed healthcare providers, and that added to the flood of cards I need to carry daily in my wallet. I realized that even after tossing out a couple cards, my current wallet situation wasn't sufficient. I carry 2 small wallets.

The 1st one that I use the most is a small leather zip case with one of those removable cardholder inserts & a little key ring to attach an extra house/car key. But the really awesome aspect about this nifty case is the clear ID window that folds out & snaps shut on the outside. I don't have to expose the rest of my wallet when showing my ID/driver's license and the ID doesn't show & is kept inside the wallet until I unsnap to fold it out. On the zippered inside, I keep a slew of car/health/Rx insurance cards, work ID/Soc Sec/AAA, etc. The cardholder itself has my credit/debit cards. I love this wallet/case but it's getting worn (gift from my child 9 yrs. ago) & I need a greater capacity for cards now.

The 2nd tiny wallet snaps shut. It has 3 card slots & 1 clear ID, & a currency pocket. On the outside, is a zip pocket for coins that I've learned not to ever use bcuz the coins always end up on the bottom of my handbag. I use it for cash and a couple non-essential cards. I also like the hidden slots it has.

I thought I could easlity find 1 medium-size wallet to meet all of my needs. Lol. I looked at QVC, HSN, Macy's, Nordstrom's, Nordstrom Rack, Kohl's, Patrica Nash's website,  Dillard's, etc.

-None of the wallets/card holders/cases has that snapped fold-out ID on the outside. -Nash has a med. wallet w/a kisslock coin purse on the outside.

-Kate Spade has a nice bifold w/a zip compartment I'd use for the cards there are not enough slots for.

-Fossil has the Fiona multifunction wallet. I love this wallet & have used one in the past with a more attractive design before along with my zip case. I'd need a little kisslock coin purse with it this time. - May I add that I'd love a little pretty vintage beaded coin purse?

I'm in a quandary shopping for a wallet that meets my needs.

I then looked at men's wallets. A select few have a zip around, a passcase with the window ID that's removable - that I would surely lose - , and none snapped closed. The closure is important becuz wallets can catch on other items in my handbag.

I may just cross my fingers and hope I can make do with what I have for another year & look forward to new styles in the near future.

Wallets are such personal accessories. They're more complicated than I had imagined. What do you need in a wallet? Do you think wallets could use some fresh ideas?

Honored Contributor

Check out Amazon, there are meant to choose from.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

OMG!  I feel your pain.  So after looking and looking and buying and being stuck with one's I didn't want.

I finally found one.  I wanted to mainly put my dollar bills in it (yes, I use cash when I eat out).

But, it seems like the wallet just doesn't fit into a small(er) purse.

I've had to buy larger purses just to fit the stupid wallet in it.

So, now I'm on the hunt again for a wallet.

My granddaughter (age 17) carries around just this long large wallet.  She won't carry a purse.  It doesn't have a handle on it, so she forgets it everywhere.

I've bought her so many smaller cross-body purses and she won't use them.

Wallets (like purses) are very personal things.  I have bought 2 Dooney purses for people and one loved it and the other one gave it back.  So, I gave it to someone who always wanted a Dooney but didn't have the money to buy it.

I'd rather have someone give a gift back if it isn't right than to just keep it and not use it.  It wasn't for any reason, I call them "I love you" gifts.

Phew!  I need to calm down.  Ha!!  I get worked up thinking of trying to find a backpack purse and now a wallet.

Esteemed Contributor

Isn't that the worst, when your whole life falls down around your feet and you have to redo your wallet?

What I did was to first decide what should never be carried all, like SSN card, and put them away.

Then I decided what I actually, for sure, handled every week.  These belonged somewhere alone and handy.  For me that was only 4 cards and I got a man's card case.

Everything else belonged in a wallet for occasional use.  Like cash, health cards, car insurance, and license.

Still happy with my choices.

Honored Contributor

And why are the slots so tight?

Maybe so nothing sloshes around but I have a hard time getting my cards in & out.

I have 2 debit cards, 2 credit cards, DL, proof of auto insurance, Sam's club card, pistol permit. SS card and 2 different cards for my health insurance.

Use to be you only had maybe 4 slots in a wallet, I was so glad when wallets have more than I need.   But it takes me forever to wrestle the cards out.  And I only want 1 to keep up with.   

I've been looking for something else as well.

Esteemed Contributor

I cut back on the number of cards that I carry with me. A few years ago I realized I had cards that I maybe use once a year. I'm retired so I like a lightweight bag.....I now carry a small Vera tote, and it has a small zip compartment on the front of the bag. I use that for my debit card, Walgreen's points card and my Sam's card since those are the cards I use most often. I have a PN Gauchy wallet (I love it) and I only carry cards in it that I need to carry with me: health insurance, car insurance, bank credit card, Macy's, and drivers license. If I absolutely had to carry more cards with me, I've used a credit card case in the past instead of trying to put all of those cards in a wallet.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping for a Wallet?

[ Edited ]

I use a small wristlet for dollars in my handbag and a metal credit card case.

See the source image

Respected Contributor

A few years ago I got rid of many cards in my wallet and used Key Ring App to take pictures of them front and back on my cellphone: loyalty cards for CVS, Giant, SteinMart, Panera, AAA, etc.   Could email them to DH’s cellphone once he had the App.

As several posters have noted, the SS card should not be carried:  keep in a safe place.

For me, handbag shopping is a nightmare: it has to be lightweight, good leather, adjustable strap, and multiple useful compartments inside and outside.  

I own three hand ads: summer, winter and formal.  I am always looking to replace the first two all the time because I know when it is time place one, there will not be anything suitable, LOL.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: Shopping for a Wallet?

[ Edited ]

I've used a zip around wallet for years and love it.  It has about eight slots on each side for cards.  I don't carry a ton of cards.  I do carry my insurance cards in case something happened and I ended up in the emergency room.  I would need them.  I very rarely need to show my driver's license so don't need a see through slot for it.  The wallet that I have is similar to this.

C4CFE5FB-BF4A-4210-80FF-EB46463632E6.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I hae just one wallet and one bag.  It's a long wallet and my new Lug bag fits it.  I also have a long slot for my cellphone in my bag.  So right now I'm fine.  I prefer the long wallet.  It keeps enough loose change and bills.  Also plenty of room for a lot of cards. I stopped using a short wallet for a long time.