Respected Contributor

Re: Shopoholice ODAT Wed. 1/6/2016

Good sfternoon. We have had quite a bit of rain with more due tomorrow.  This area is always in need of moisture so no complaints. It is better than at home where it will be below zero by the weekend.

Bernie, congrats on 35 years...I had 34 in before retired. So nice you were honored. 

Snicks, glad that dd is back on the road....I would be tired f the yard mess by now.

Linda r feel better.

Linda l..(((((( hugs))))

my my knee is still weird. I am one of the rare people whose ra continues to affect a replaced joint.

Got our tickets booked for Sydnie's dance nationals in Virginia beach at the end of June. We will be out there for over a week.

Hope everyone's day is going well

Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

OK, I'll do the best I can typing, but thanks to the "animal magnet" (a.k.a. the space heater), I have five cats on me, including under the laptop and on both arms - they like to be right in the line of the warm air.  Moving them doesn't help - they bounce right back, and show their displeasure (or is it affection?) by sticking their little butts in my face when they get back on me.

It's a bright sunny day out; I'm thinking I should take the dogs for a drive, especially Angelica since she doesn't get much exercise and is bored - hopefully I can fine her a home with a securely fenced-in yard and kids soon.  I don't really need anything right now, but I guess I can go to Aldi for some eggs and some dog food as I'll be needing them by early next week. I also have two packages to mail to soldiers who are depressed and needing a little extra love from back home. 

Sorry you're not feeling well, LindaR.  The worst thing about being sick when you're alone is there's no one to "fetch & carry," and of course the critters won't feed themselves...  Cat Frustrated

Bird, have you given any thought to selling your late husband's camera equipment on eBay?  I'll bet you'd be surprised at how much you'd get for it.  Which reminds me...I have my late husband's Morse Code keyer - he got his ham license when he was 8 years old, so I guess it might be considered an antique, since it's over 50 years old.  I should be able to get a nice price for that.

Do you get your birds regular bird seed, or do you have to get them something special?  I got my little friends some suet and a basket to put it in last week, but they don't seem to be showing much interest in it.

Even with Prime, Amazon is sometimes slower these day; I don't know if it's the holidays or what.  My cousin got me a pet candle that was on my wish list; I think they sent her one that was returned as damaged as it had an odd bar code label and tape on it that the ones I bought for myself didn't have, and there was glass all over the place when I opened it. (It definitely wasn't her fault - she packed it well - it must have had a crack in it that they tried to cover with the tape, and she said the lid was separate in the box, which it shouldn't have been, but she was in a hurry to send it to me and didn't inspect it closely - there's also a V-shaped break in the top.)  I'm looking to see if they have more in yet; she doesn't have Prime and I do, so the easiest way to handle it would be for me to order one, then return the broken one, otherwise they'd charge her to send it directly to me or else she'll have to pay to mail it to me if it goes to her home. Just the latest in a lot of problems from Amazon lately...   Cat Frustrated

Spix, my Honeybun goes nuts when she sees squirrels!  She's a mountain cur, and I think they're used for hunting so it's instinctive for her. 

LindaL, I sure hope you get everything worked out with DH's care soon. Still praying for you.  Wish I lived closer so I could help you out a bit. And LindaR, if you were closer I'd make you chicken & dumplings... Cat Happy

Well, the water is slowly going down in the basement; hopefully I can have Victor over by the weekend to turn my pilot on. 

Pinky hasn't been around in a while - i hope she's OK.  Do any of you ever hear from Sonya? 

Well, with the cold I haven't been going out much, and for some reason the CBS app doesn't have the updated shows; I guess maybe there were holiday specials.  Anyway, I checked out some of the "exclusive" programs on Amazon Prime, and was a bit shocked - I do NOT have any desire to watch shows with nudity and loads of profanity.  Cat Frustrated I ended up watching MIB II, which is free with Prime.  You can't win...if it's not nasty commercials, it's that... Cat Mad

I did get registered for school - this will be an MBA in Human Resources. I was top recruiter at an employment agency, and have been toying with the idea of either hooking up with the place I worked for again (easily done, thanks to the internet), or starting my own agency.  We'll see... At the least it'll give me something to do and keep me from getting bored.

Marijane, do you make your chicken soup totally from scratch?  I have some  Better Than Bullion, some celery, carrots, and imported noodles - maybe I'll take the lazy way out.  I love to cook, but don't bother much if it's just for me.  BTW, I bought a big bag of kale because it was cheap at Publix ($1.50).  I've never had it before -  does anyone know what I should do with it?  

I guess I'd better get moving; I just looked at the time, and the care packages will have to wait until tomorrow, since they're not ready to go yet.

Hi to everyone - have a blessed evening! 

Honored Contributor

@FunkyHulaGirl

My sparrows eat a combination of kaytee fiesta finch (domestic bird), kaytee wild finch, and quiko egg food (softened).  I give them a multivitamin and they also get herbs/greens and sunflower hearts.

Grayson eats Hagen pigeon food, kaytee domestic and wild finch food (lol), grit, herbs/greens.  He gets a multivitamin and sunflower hearts.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopoholics ODAT Wed. 1/6/2016

@LindaLatte, Hi Linda, a few months ago the Assessors office held a seminar re:appealing RE tax, but they are hard noses, here in Chicago we also have a Board of Review, much easier to work with, you can just fill out the form with all your info & submit it to them, or you can do further research for "comps", they tell you the best way is price per square foot, lucky for me, a neighbor sent me quite a few comps for my house with cheaper square per foot pricing, needless to say it worked, this year will try it again, hope it works, doesn't take long & with our hugh increase coming will be worth it. I hope  lol