Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Shopoholics ODAT Sunday 12/6/15

UcedDarn web. I carry my cell phone in my wallet so I need a certain size. I saw one that was a good size. It was too much. Then I noticed a note on the tag. As is--broken Zipper. Price only reduced five dollArs. Essentially useless and still e
Respected Contributor

Expensive. Needless to stay it stayed
Honored Contributor

@kittyfan

Looks like the technology gremlins are after you today Linda R.

I wouldn't have paid alot of money for a broken handbag either - I don't care who's name is on it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Hi girls!

Time got away from me yesterday; I got up, checked and updated my website, then didn't get out until late afternoon.  I stopped at the Christian store for some more Christmas tracts, and got into a conversation with my friend who owns it until closing time.  From there we (of course the dogs were with me) headed to Publix, but lost a lot of time as apparently there was some sort of Christmas things going on in Fort O so the traffic was horrendous.  I saved a little time cutting through the Burger King drive-true (where the kids got some chicken nuggets), but it was still slow going - took about a half hour to go about half a mile. 

I only needed a couple of things from Publix, but you know how that goes!  They had a BOGO on some rolls that looked good, so I also stopped at Aldi on the way  home to get some roast beef; the price at Publix is outrageous - I pretty much only buy things that are on sale there, or things that no one else carries.  The good news is, I have enough food to get me through most of January; all I'll need to get is perishables. One more trip to Aldi for milk, buttermilk, and eggs for Christmas baking and that's it for the year.

The nicest young lady did the packing and carried out my groceries. She was from Israel, but moved to New York City because whereas she had no problem with the requirement to join the IDF, they were insisting that she must go into the chemical warfare unit because of her degree, and she said she just couldn't do that. Anyway, we had a nice conversation which began when she noticed my Star of David with a cross in the center, and she actually knew of a place in Chattanooga that sells latke!  She said the owner is from NYC and they're very good.  I did call the Publix store manager to compliment her when I got home, so she'll get a free lunch from the deli.

Well, I still haven't found someone to do the ductwork. I forgot about calling the HVAC instructor at the community college; I'll try and remember to do that tomorrow - thankfully it's till pretty warm. (A winter like this would make me happy!) I see they also have classes on plumbing, carpentry, electric, etc., so maybe I can get a program going with the agency that helps seniors and those who have disabilities; I'll probably meet with the director this week.  I'm thinking not just the community college, but there are other schools in the area, and maybe I can get professionals to donate some time for more difficult jobs.

LindaL, I have a wonderful plumber - he's a sweet young man who is a master plumber who moonlights; as someone mentioned, he probably does better charging me less when he works on his own.  In fact, I promised him cupcakes for his little boy, so I'll add them to my list.

Jean, I have a Hamilton Beach coffee maker that  has a carafe on one side, and a single serve on the other with a permanent, reusable filter - you just flip a switch. I like that I can choose any kind of coffee I want, and it's not nearly as expensive as the K-cups; I can also control the strength of the coffee.  I've used coffee pods in it, and they were great....but too expensive.

LindaR, I find that TJM doesn't give much of a discount for damaged merchandise.  I do  love purses, but have far too many - in fact, I need to get a dozen or so posted for sale this week.  I might list them on the QVC Shopaholics FB page as well, if anyone is interested - all are NWT.

I haven't had my cholesterol checked in years; last time the doctory said my numbers were "amazing"  I guess good genes are the only good thing I got from my parents.  Bird, do you ever look at the NaturalNews.com site?  Lots and lots of good info there on natural remedies, and you can search for what you want. 

Jean, I agree - that brat was RUDE. Most kids these days aren't sweet and innocent as they once were.  I saw that commercial a few days ago, and thought it was very moving.  Did any of you read the news article about the little girl who was mean to her classmates, and laughing at the clothes a poor girl had to wear?  Her stepmother took her to a thrift shop and, pretending it was a lark, had her choose the ugliest clothes she could find in her size. The stepmother then purchased them, and made the girl wear them to school...where it was her turn to be laughed at.  That lesson changed her in a hurry!  Apparently now she and the girl she once mocked so cruelly have become best friends. 

Twinny and LindaL - I hate that you're going through such a difficult time; I wish I lived closer - at least I could prepare you some food and take a little of the stress off you.  You're in my prayers. 

Well, guess what?  The THIRD new Kindle Fire is being returned, and I want my money back, not another piece of junk.  (Well, a credit to the gift card that a sweet man I know from FB sent me...but at least I can get things I need.)  The first two had a problem with the sound; it would start out OK, but after a few minutes would on its own go so low you could hardly hear it.  First time I called, they suggested I try ear buds.  Seriously?  Well, the third (and last) one has multiple problems:  the sound for apps and notifications doesn't work at all - you can't turn it up or down - it's dead.  You're supposed to be able to swipe down for settings; it doesn't work.  The feature that lets you change from one user to another doesn't work.  And now the volume can't be adjusted at all.  I'm also going to demand that they accept the case I bought for it for a refund as well, even though it's past 30 days; I obviously don't need it.  I haven't played with the tablet from Aldi yet, but it can't be worse that the Amazon trash, and it's half the price.  Even so, I can return it if I don't like it.

Well, guess I'd better make lunch and maybe get together the things I need to photograph and sell. I did make the Sloppy Joes the other night, and by mistake added "Larry the Cable Guy's Pork Seasoning" instead of garlic powder, and boy, are they good! That's what I'm having...  I might watch a movie tonight - I have a bunch of freebies from Prime in my watch list.  I'm not one for Christmas movies, but the other night saw Tyler Perry's "A Medea Christmas," which was nice and also very funny - and not schmaltzy like most Christmas movies are. 

Have a blessed evening, everyone, and Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish readers!