Honored Contributor

Shopoholics ODAT Sunday 12/6/15

Good morning shopping friends. Hope all are well today and enjoying your Sunday, whatever you are doing with it.

My street is under construction starting yesterday morning just after daylight. Huge piles of gravel, pipe, equipment sitting all around. Wil be an obstacle course getting in and out of here for a couple weeks. I happened to be in the yard yesterday as several of their crew were walking around and looking everything over, so I went out to talk to them about the process. They say, delays not counting lol, they think they will be done by 12/20, which is my only concern, as that is the date of my family dinner and I will have an additional 8 or so cars here. Could be a problem, but will have to wait and see as they 'might' be done. Fingers crossed, lol. I did get lots of running around, errands done on Friday and then did the final rake on the front yard yesterday. Will need to do the back again, but temps not expected to rise very much today with a 50% chance of rain, so probably won't happen today. Not much else happening here. Waves to everyone.....

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: Shopoholics ODAT Sunday 12/6/15

Good Morning and thanks for starting us off Snicks,

Did I ever sleep well last night :-)  I went to bed around 10:45 pm  and got up shortly after 8:30 am.  I didn't twist myself like a pretzel and I don't feel like somebody mugged me, lol.

I have been resisting temptation from Ross Simons.  That store is relentless with sending catalogues to the house and sending me emails.  It's easy for me to delete the emails.  The catalogues can be dangerous because I can linger over the pictures.

There is a tassel necklace that I tell myself will be out of fashion in a year or so and a stampato necklace that I tell myself I don't need.  Both are sterling silver.

So far, so good - no orders placed :-)

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Morning and thanks for getting us started, snicks.  I do hope the construction is finished in time for your family dinner.

It is cool here this morning, but should make it up into the 70's this afternoon.  Nice time to be in southern Arizona rather than in the cold areas of the country, at least for me. 

The holiday party for my "classes" was nice, and I won the centerpiece at our table (I cute metal Santa).  I bit difficult to describe, but.....   And, one of my teachers pointed out that there was a ramp we could use rather than taking the steps on the way out.   DH has lots of trouble with steps, so I was very grateful.

I need to help DH now, and then get ready for church.  Later, I'll go to the gym.

Waves to Jean, Kathleen, Arlene, twinny, Marijane, Susan, Bernie, Rosa, LindaR, Charlene, Karen, Barbara, pinky ann, Gayle, and all of our posters and readers.

Have a good day everyone!

Hugs,

Linda

ETA -- good luck with avoiding temptation, Bernie.  I know catalogs can be very tempting.  I have a bad habit of going back and back to see something that I decide that I really "need".  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Snicks---Thank you for starting the thread. The timing couldn't be worse for them to be working on the road around you, but perhaps that is a gift to you if the work is complete in time for your dinner and guests that will have to navigate the work if not complete.

Bernie--Great job on resisting the Ross Simons temptation. I have one item from that line. I did get the cholesterol-lowering product you recommended.

Linda--I am so glad that you and DH had a great outing and that the  ramp made it easier to navigate the way out. Congrats upon winning the beautiful item.

It is a beautiful sunny day with great temps forecast for the rest of the week. This is my idea of Winter...sunshine and highs in the 50s. I was tempted to get out and run around but decided to stay put. I didn't really need anything that much, but if I don't work tomorrow, I might venture out tomorrow.

Thanks to Bernie, I put that natural cholesterol product she recommended in my subscribe and save order that will arrive from Amazon soon. I did notice that the variety I got was the capsules and not the gel caps. We will see how the capsule variety works in terms of ease of swollowing, etc. There is no difference in ingredients other than gell versus hard capsule....and price.

I don't need the TSV. I just received the K-10 that they sold for $59. It is a personal one but it is working very well for me. I got it just to fix decaf in late afternoon and evening. I don't mind filling it each time I make a cup as that doesn't take much time.  It was a huge package when I got it because of the free carousel that normally sells for around $25 plus 36 k-cups in a variety.  We know that they were clearing this out in advance of the TSV in the Keurig 2.0 type, but the price was right and it works for me. That represents money saved that can be spent on something else.

I did manage to get through WEN day without purchasing any WEN thanks to a supply I have on hand. I've been "wen'd" and am relaxing now before deciding what I can do around the house before I indulge in a minimum of 4 days of work in the coming week.

It may be a day in advance, but I would like to take this opportunity to wish Linda L. a happy birthday in advance. I do hope you have a great day tomorrow as you deserve it.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat

I hope the capsule version works out.  I went with the gel cap only because it's a big pill, lol. 

Well over a decade ago, I took my DH to ER because he said he felt a pressure on his chest.  Everything worked out but the cardiologist was dictating he can't eat this, none of that, don't consume this and I sat there listening to the laundy list of what my beloved couldn't have.

At that time I said, if I may doctor, if American lived the way you would like us to, you'd be out of business.  Now, I want to work with you and I would like a consult with a nutritionist or dietician or whatever you call that provider specialty.  In the meantime, I have a variety of trees in the back yard.  At this point, it appears my husband can't eat anything in the house.  Would you recommend I take some bark off the pines and make a soup?

The reason I am relating this story is - I didn't know until I started taking cholest off plus that one of the plant sterols in a pine oil.

Looks like I wasn't that far off the mark over a decade ago, rofl.

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--Dietary restrictions are really a pain. Problems with cholesterol are often have a genetic influence so no strict adherence to dietary recommendations will change the numbers much.  Time will tell how the "horse pill" does. I did get a great price on the "subscribe and save." It was definitely cheaper than the Lessman product. I think WalMart carries the brand so I will be checking the price there. I noticed this morning that I need to purchase more aspirin. I take one of those each morning in addition to the blood thinner in the evening and a great variety of other pills in the morning and evening.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@KonaKat

You've hit on my exact issue with the cholesterol.  My mother did not eat high cholesterol anything, was literall skinny as a rail and had cholesterol numbers that would curl your hair.  In her older age, she gave it a year and abstained from any type of interesting food - it was like watching a monk.  A year later, her doctor took blood and accused her of not taking the condition seriously.  She refused any statis medications and said - you are not taking out my liver with those statin drugs, lol.  She then said, at my age, I've lived a good life - when it's my time, it's my time.

I am a fair person and can tell you that any damage she did to her heart did not come from her cholesterol - she smoked for over 60 years.  In all truth is was COPD that took her - not her heart.

I may never get my cholesterol levels to the 'perfect' number that my doctor would like to see.  Even he acknowledged some of my problem is genetics.  I am trying to keep it in the low end of borderline high. 

To be fair, I do need to move more to increase my HDL a little.  I have a perfectly good treadmill that doesn't get the exercise it should.

Depending on how this round of cholesterol testing goes - I could be confessing to my doctor about my lazy ways (if the HDL is on the low side).

Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--I think most doctors recognize the hereditary component and also recognize that what works for some may not work for another. Mine has a hereditary component plus I take spells in which I indulge too much in the wrong things. My doctors look more at moderation than deprivation when it comes to diet for any purpose. Deprivation rarely works for most people unless they are extremely motivated.

I just went to the Kohls website and placed an order. I hadn't been in Kohls for months and really couldn't think of anything I needed bad enough to get in a car and drive 55 miles one way. I do have a Kohls credit card and need to keep it active.  I'm also in the market for a new slow cooker. I found what I needed on the website along with another kitchen item I needed to replace. Both were on good sale prices, plus I had the 25% discount to use with it.  They are coming to me with free shipping. No wasted gas, no getting ready, and no 3 hours minimum spent going to Kohls, time in Kohls, and time spent coming back.

Esteemed Contributor

It has been another rough day for DH & myself.  I slept in today as I have been extra tired lately. After getting up at 7:00 I showered, ate breakfast & started to make my hot dish for the church potluck when I got a call from mom's "new place."  The lady said that mom wanted to talk to me on the phone, but when she was given the receiver she couldn't tell me anything.  I had to wake my DH up as we needed to go see mom.  He quickly downed a cup off coffee & ate a banana on the way.  Mom was truly not herself.  She spilled a glass of OJ all over the cloth tablecloth & then only wanted a cup of tea & a piece of toast.  Her vitals were fine but her cough is terrible & she is still waiting for her cough meds.  A Hospice nurse is always on call so she said she would come visit with mom.  Well, by 11:00 she still hadn't showed up so DH & I came home to get the lunch into the oven & decided to decorate the Christmas tree.  The tree looks nice, we had lunch & enjoyed the hot tub & we are still waiting for the Hospice nurse to call us.  All of my Christmas decorating is done except for the open stairway leading down to the basement.  Hopefully that will get done tomorrow.  Friends are coming tomorrow for cards.  DH gets his tooth fixed on Weds.  I will read your posts tonight & I always enjoy your well wishes & prayers are much appreciated.

Respected Contributor

I have been over run with catalogs this year. This week I recycled a bunch. Today I had another armload. I have stayed strong. I haven't even looked at them. I can easily be entranced.

We put up the Christmas tree after church. Went fairly smoothly. One family was absent. So it really was pleasant

I went into TJMaxx they had a lovely display of Michael Koorsbags. Looked at the offerings. I knew I wouldn't buy a bag but like to browse. My wallet is a double zip as i carr