Honored Contributor

Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Weds., May 1st)

Good day all and welcome to the month of May.  In 2 days times I will be able to say that I haven't purchased anything besides necessities.  I can honestly say that I don't feel like I am doing without.

Ironically I received an email yesterday from the bank behind the Q card letting me know I was pre-approved.  When I saw that all I could think was this better not impact by FICO Woman LOL

They can offer me a card and I still can't get the emails I signed up for sigh.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Shopaholics One Day at a Time (Weds., May 1st)

Bernie--Thank you for starting the thread. Congrats upon you mission to control the "want" spending. It does get easier with each day. I feel left out; I didn't get a credit card preapproval from the bank offering the Q card. No, that will not affect your credit score unless you apply.

I worked today, which was a beautiful day. It is currently 89 degrees and sunny; I love this kind of weather. I work the rest of the week, and at this point, two days next week.

I go through these phases of tracking what I spend and the purpose. I didn't purchase anything today but I did pay the water billl, so that was entered on the spreadsheet for May 1. I was tempted to go to the pizza place and buy an antipasta salad for dinner but that meant I would have to enter it on the spreadsheet....and it is a want as I have food here to eat.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

I have two different spreadsheets for each month Jean.  One is for overall household (usually what I pay by check or web bill pay).  The other is 'petty cash' which accounts for the 'paper money'.  It helps to identify 'dangerous' trends Woman LOL

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Bernie--It is my experience that it isn't the large expenses that we forget when we wonder where the money went; it is those small purchases that add up or "nickle and dime" you into financial doldrums. I used to have a habit of when in the city of getting a coffee to drink on the way home. Those things add up and when added to other small purchases taken for granted can really drain the financial coffers. Just a dollar saved a day from a bad habit spending adds up to $365 a year. That $20 bill enticement the Q often uses as a small amount to spend done once a week is a little over $1,000 a year---and once spent do we end up taking it to the donation center?

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

Good Evening, Ladies!  Good for you with the shopping constraint Jean and Bernie.

I had a very good day trip to the arboretum and olive mill.  It was long, but both places were great.  I already wrecked my non-wanty spending for May since I bought a bottle of olive oil at the olive mill.  We had a tour -- "Olive Oil 101 class" and I learned quite a bit.  Just couldn't resist buying some of their very good olive oil.  Sort of an unusual "want" purchase, but......  I'm sure that I will use it, so I don't feel too bad.

Hope everyone sleeps well.

Hugs,

Linda